Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 6, 2005, 11:40 AM   #21

I would forget about delving inside a flashgun.There are very high voltages in there . and there is not much spare space.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 11:44 AM   #22

tilgates wrote:
Quote:
1. can we use power from the flash battery pack

depends how it is connected regarding the flash circuit, and what voltage.

tilgates wrote:
Quote:
2. i tkink 2.5mm side goes to camera and 3.5mm for the flash trigger
Yes, in geriatric schematic, the 2.5 mm (left side) is the input , from the camera hotshoe

tilgates wrote:

Quote:
3. i also thought of a foolish circuit im attaching it please look at it and complete it
My comments:
In general, a transistor will work to trigger the flash, but:

1- How the battery is connected versus the trigger terminals? Is the trigger (-) the battery (-) ? what is the battery voltage?
2- What the led's for ? anyway, a current to bias a transistor will be far under the led glow up current, so you can't see anything, not to count that the contact is very brief.
3- What transistor do you use? Transistor are like tires, there are tires for bicycles and tires for heavy load truck. First, you need a transistor which can withstand 60-100 volts , and you have to knowit's curent gain.
4 – How do you determine the 100 ohm value? That value is too much too low and may blow the transistor since E is tied to ground and not allowed to follow the base voltage.
You need to know the transistor specs to determine this value.

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:00 PM   #23

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
I would forget about delving inside a flashgun.There are very high voltages in there . and there is not much spare space.

I agree. If you are not comfortable with electronics parts manipulation, you may scrap your flash .
Another option: if the preflash can be disabled on your camera, use a simple slave cell to trigger your flash.

Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:24 PM   #24

thanx,

a. The flash run on 4AA so the battery voltage would be 4.8-5v

b. rest im new to electronics thats why i was asking you to complete the circuit, like which resistance to use and what other components to use.

c. i justedited the trigger.jpg to build mine circuit so the R and Led are from that circuit.

d. im going to use the geriatric circuit.

e. mine circuit was only to chk .
tilgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:56 PM   #25

Tilgates,

OK, if you want to use thebattery power of the flash, an important info is where is the "ground". check with an ohmmeter to see if the battery (-) is one of the trigger pin? like: is the battery (-)and the trigger(-) connected?

Also, what do you have as transistor in your "junk box" ? many will do the trick , but a low signal transistor will blow out at 55 v:?

If you don't know your transistor data, just try it (if you don't care it blows). the circuit can't harm the flash itself.
If in fact the the battery (-)and the trigger(-) areconnected, then just replace the resistance and the led with a resistance only, arround 5k ~ 20 k , it should work depending on the transistor curent gain .

good luck and keep us updated
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:39 AM   #26

i have a working circuit, i used a TIP41C transistor and 2 rechargable AA.

i used different Resistance at the base with different results

10K- nothing worked

4.8K - nothing worked

2K - nothing worked

1K - worked partialy

0k - worked fine

check the circuit

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:10 AM   #27

Tilgates,

Glad it work for you, but I am intrigued ... the TIP41C is an NPN, so the flash + should be connected to the collector (center pin and radiator) instead of the #3 as shown (current flows from C to E) :?
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:17 AM   #28

i also thought so but when i connected the Flash(+) to the collector it didnt worked

i think u should try it by yourself. thanks a lot for ur support , i will keep u updated.