Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:39 AM   #1

hi, I use Vivitar 3200a flash with my oly c770 but the problem is its trigger voltage is high near 55v so i think its unsafe to use. or i can use it? can i use voltage regulator ic like lm7805 to lover its voltage to 5v is it possible . now i want to use another vivitar 2800 flash also using a hotshoe adaptor. its trigger voltage is 35v. can i use both of them
tilgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:09 PM   #2

tilgates wrote:
Quote:
hi, I use Vivitar 3200a flash with my oly c770 but the problem is its trigger voltage is high near 55v so i think its unsafe to use. or i can use it?
IMO, only Olympus can state it's safe or not
In doubt, you can use this:
tilgates wrote:

Quote:
can i use voltage regulator ic like lm7805 to lover its voltage to 5v is it possible .
In theory no. The 55v trigger voltage has to be pulled down to 0 v (shorted) to trigger the flash circuit. The 7805 act like a ballast resistor and will leave around 50 v at the flash terminals. Well, it may works because of the in rush current (I never tried) , but it's not a technically "clean" way.
If you are familiar with electronics, try an optoisolator SCR or triac (the part cost even less than a 7805 :G).

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:10 PM   #3

KCan wrote:
Quote:
In doubt, you can use this:
http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4

thanx

Im thinking to use optoisolator ,but willsingle icwork with both the flashes,

can u plz give me the simplest drawing of this circuit , im newbee to electronics.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:34 PM   #5

tilgates wrote:
Quote:
thanx

Im thinking to use optoisolator ,but willsingle icwork with both the flashes,

can u plz give me the simplest drawing of this circuit , im newbee to electronics.
I forgot that question, ... in fact, you better not connect the 2 flash together directely, but with 2 separate isolators to be ... electrically clean :lol:, get back to you later .

BTW, what I said above is not true; the 55v , if thereis enough powerat the source, will not even change , the ballast (the 7805) will take the 50 v remaining voltage( But in the reality, the source is not that powerfull )
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:08 PM   #6

Hi again, some related thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=78

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

You can use this :

Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:43 PM   #7

thanx for the diagram.

ok i m going to tryout the optoisolator. but why are the safesyncs available in the market are so costly do they use some other type of circuits.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:03 PM   #8

tilgates wrote:
Quote:
thanx for the diagram.
UR welcome

tilgates wrote:
Quote:
but why are the safesyncs available in the market are so costly do they use some other type of circuits.
I don't know , and not really interrested to the point to buy one and take it appart :G
IMO, they are expensive because the market is not that big (in quantity I mean). They have to amortize the cost and also make money of course. Although the electronic parts are cheap, there are also accessories like jacks, connectors, casing, and labor.

Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:00 AM   #9

Hi K

I made a simplified version of your circuit. On the lash up on a breadboard using a normal "push on" switch in place of the camera switch. It worked great, so i made it up. Using a digicam it worked for the first flash but the triac stayed on, so the flash would not charge up. The silly thing is it works OK with a CANON 10d but not a 350d. I am showing a sketch of the circuit.
Attached Images

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:01 AM   #10

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
Using a digicam it worked for the first flash but the triac stayed on, so the flash would not charge up. The silly thing is it works OK with a CANON 10d but not a 350d. I am showing a sketch of the circuit.
I think the reason is that the led with the 100 resistor sustain a current (around 15 mA) in the camera hotshoe circuit , which is probably an SRC or a Triac itself, and that current prevents the camera's SRC or triac to switch to off state.
May be the 350d use a bigger SRC, so that the curent is not enough to maintain it's on state .