Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:22 PM   #1

I shot my first wedding last weekend and my SB-800 flash went through a lot of AA's. Has anyone thought about building there own external pack? The price they want for a Nikon one is outrages in my mind? Please share if you have any input or thoughts on this.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thank you,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Cdteo
cdteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:35 PM   #2

Some one did this for his camera:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/akouzmit/Battery_Pack/

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:56 AM   #3

Hi K

If you can get your hands on a Vivitar 365 hammerhead flash, the batteries are seperate to the flashgun. They are in a case with a shoulder strap. It carries eight "C" batteries , so in your setup you could have them in series parallel configuration and they would last twice as long. That is if you could cope with the weight.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:43 AM   #4

geriatric,

8 C ? :?, it's not for me :G

I have a Metz 402 with the separate battery pack , but I prefer the CT4 with modified rechargeable NiMH (2000 mAh versus original 500 mAh Nicad) . I don't like (and don't need) having a cord to my waist :G
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:47 AM   #5

cdteo,

another inspiration source if you want to make your own:

http://www.qtm.com/battery/turbo_c_main.html
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:27 PM   #6

Why do you want to make your own and risk frying your SB800's electronics?

I just shot my brother's wedding with my D70s with SB-600 and a Quantum QB1c (compact) battery. Even after more than 400 shots, the battery was at 3/4 full. It fully recharges in about 2-3 hours.

I bought mine used on ebay for $105 from a British photog. The only thing I needed to buy new was the Quantum XK-6 cord,$40 from B&H. Works like a charm. I doubt you will be able to do better for $145.

And the weight of the battery and 6 inch cord is something like 17 ounces.

amateurdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:51 AM   #7

amateurdabbler wrote:
Quote:
Why do you want to make your own and risk frying your SB800's electronics?

This is the kinda thing that scares away DIY projects. I made an external pack last year with a used 12v gel cell battery (meant fora UPS), 6v voltage regulator from digikey, small aluminum heatsink, coiled telephone cord, and the right size plug from radio shack. Total cost = around $25. I have so much power that the battery loses almost as much charge sitting idle as it does powering the camera. I doubt I have used over 1/4 the capacity.

As long as you watch your voltage and polarity you won't fry anything.
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:02 AM   #8

Vlad the Impaler wrote:
Quote:
I made an external pack last year with a used 12v gel cell battery (meant fora UPS), 6v voltage regulator
Vlad, did you use a "ballast" regulator design (78xx) ? if it's the case, then half of the power is lost (dissipated) in the heatsink .( 6 v x XAmp used, 6 v x XAmp dissipated in heat). With a such big difference in in and out voltage ,swicthing regulation is a better way. Ballast design is great and cheap to for small difference in in and out voltage, orlow current design.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:03 AM   #9

I started using external battery pack years ago when I am still using film Camera and Hi 8 video Cam.

I used 6 v 4 ampere-hour gel battery used in most large flashlight and emergency lamp. I put the battery in beld bag or belt pack. Gel batteries ccan be used horizontal or vertical so the shape and size of the bag is not critical. My flash and camera both operates on 6 volts.

An automotive fuse is used and separate sets of coil anc plugs are prepared for different equipment.

One word of caution, if you intend to use a battery for more than one equipment, always make sure of the polarity on the gel battery. A visible red mark on the cable and the battery positive terminal will always remind you if you connnect the terminal right. And if you are doiing it for the first time, test the polarity of the plug, some equipment use the center terminal as the negative instead of the usual positive ! Some equipment has no reverse polarity protection, and a gel battery's high current capacity can immediately damage an equipment f the polarity is reversed

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:06 AM   #10

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Vlad the Impaler wrote:
Quote:
I made an external pack last year with a used 12v gel cell battery (meant fora UPS), 6v voltage regulator
Vlad, did you use a "ballast" regulator design (78xx) ? if it's the case, then half of the power is lost (dissipated) in the heatsink .( 6 v x XAmp used, 6 v x XAmp dissipated in heat). With a such big difference in in and out voltage ,swicthing regulation is a better way. Ballast design is great and cheap to for small difference in in and out voltage, orlow current design.
Never use linear Voltage reguators for this application (LM317, LM340T or LM78XX), They dissipate too much heat . Use the Switchmode regulators. Maxxim are the best source of this regulators.

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote