Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:14 PM   #11

A-lex-

I have found that this type of setup works better.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:29 PM   #12

I just have a quick question about slave flash equipment avaliable for digital camera.

There are remote flash trigger adaptor like the pictured for traditional flash unit to be used like a slave flash. Is there such remote flash tirgger that' made for digital camera that will adjust for pre-flash? I havn't come across one that does that on the web. Just wondering if you guys have seem one of these little remote trigger for digital camera, since I have severaldescent traditional external flash unit laying around from my film camera days.

Also what's your option on this little compact Vivita DF120 slave flash for digital camera? (http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...cb86ef51d509f5). From the picture it don't look like it can fire very far but it's very compact and cheap.

Since I just bought a Casio Z750 for my Europe trip next week. I'd like to have extra flash powerhandy fornight shot or shadow fillwhen I need it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Attached Images

xenonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:49 AM   #13

Does this Bower slave flash ignore the preflash, if not a lot of users will be disapointed. there only solution is too use manual mode on camera. I may be wrong but the preflash just determines how powerful the taking flash should be. I know of no slave flash that ignores the preflash. Personally myself I use an external flash which only fires once. It then triggers the slave flash.

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:53 AM   #14

xenonsky-

A slave flash set-up would work rather well with your new Casio 750Z, as the flash on that digital camera is somewhat underpowered. The slave flash that I showed in a photo in a previous posting measures just 2" X 3 1/4" and is able to extend the flash range on my Olympus C-8080 to 25 to 28 feet. It also handles a pre-flash situation as well, as most slave flashes do today.

The Vivitar flash available at the Seven Day shop only has a guide number of 12, indicating that it has rather low flash output. Flashes like the Vivitar DF-200 have a guide number of 92, making it much more powerful.

The key question is this: What is your desired flash range when using your Casio 750Z? Knowing that, we can then do a better job of finding you the correct unit.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:55 AM   #15

geriatric-

Yes, the Bower Flash Unit is able to ignore the pre flash.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:23 AM   #16

xenonsky-

I did some more research at the Seven Day Shop and the carry both of the Vivitar flashes that we discussed. The DF-120 is the less expensive and smaller unit. Certainly its smallness will be an assett to you. It does correct for pre flash and may indeed be all that you need, if youdon't need to extend your flash range a great deal.

The DF-200 is also carried by the Seven Day Shop. It is much more powerful, but a good deal larger as well. The DF-200 is rather unique in that the flash is able to learn the number of pre flashes any digital camera uses and to incorporate it into it flash shooting routine.

Both flashes are supplied with the necessay mounting via the Casio 750Z's tripod mount.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:22 PM   #17

Speaklightly,

Thanks for your time and opinion. I basically just wanted a slave flash to fill in as background light to get rid of shadow in portrait shots indoors. In addition, to get some decent lighting in night shots for example with subject in front of dimly lit water fountain or statute.

The link that I post in the 7dayshop.com is an UK site soprobably that's why the Guide number showed 12 (I guess as is 12 meters). And the following 2 links both said the DF120 with Guide Number of 40 (100 ISO/FT) & 12 (100ISO/M) if I interperted this correctly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-Flash-fo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://hk.f2.page.auctions.yahoo.com...ction/b2014673

The main reason I'm considering this DF120 is because it's cheap here in Hong Kong, as in the above Yahoolink it's only about $160 HK dollars (about $20 US dollars). The DF200 does seem to cost quite a bit more comparing tothat price (but I know I get what I paid for eventually)

I guess this a greate price for a flash that can cover up to 40 ft, right?

BTW, the picture I posted earlier for the cube shape remote flash trigger, would it not work with my digital camera since it's just a traditional remote flash trigger?

I'm also wondering if I set manual white balance and no red-eye, would my build-in flash just flash once only for the shot?

xenonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:26 PM   #18

I'm getting a little confused here - small brain, what can I say.

1. How does a slave flash know when to fire - is it thru a cord coonection?
2. What is that square thing that Xenonsky has pictured? How does it work?
3. What's is and how does a strobe flash work.

Thanks
JC
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:10 PM   #19

xeonsky-

I think that the Vivatar DF-120 will work just fine for you, since as you pointed out that 12 guide numer was based on meters. The output is therefore quite decent.

No, the cube shaped sensor is designed to work on a hot shoe, so because you don't have a hot shoe on the casio 750Z, it will not work for you.

And yes, you should be able to use the DF-120 with a pre-flash condition according to the DF-120 product description. It would also work with the red eye reduction turned off because there would only be one flash.

I hope that helps. Let me know how it works out, please.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:17 PM   #20

JC-

OK, let's do slave flash 101:

(1) A slave flash requires no wiring with the camere. The digital camera's built-in flash must be used, because the slave flash has a photo cell on it, and it flashes as soon as the digital camera's built-in flash fires.

(2) Most Slave Flashes can handle any pre-flashes that are produced via the digital camera's built-in flash, and then fire normally when required to do so.

(3) The cube shaped item that xeonsky posted a photo of is a photocell sesor that installs on a camera hot shoe.

I hope that I covered everything that you wanted. If not ask away, it is a very quiet Sunday.

Sarah Joyce