Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:39 PM   #31

geriatric/tu-

The new slave flasheseasily take into account any pre-flashes coming from the digital camera's built-in flash. So there would be no problem at all when using a slave flash with the Canon S-2 IS.

And there is a flash bracket (which attaches to the tripod screw)packaged with the slave flash as well. So you also have a means to mount the slave flash.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:28 AM   #32
tu

Thanks a bunch for your help. I'm starting to regrett having bought the S2.

Oh well!!lol
tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:49 AM   #33

I hit this problem when I attempted too use my studio flash`s with several digi cameras. I overcame this by making a small flash trigger too fit into the hotshoe of the camera. This flash is covered by a red gelatine filter, which will trigger the studio flash`s, but will not add too the flash lighting. As this flash gun has a trigger voltage of 200 volts even tho` it only uses two AA batteries it is mounted onto a device too allow the camera too feel 2.5 volts. I enclose a shot of this and a plug in sensor for studio flash`s that have no built sensor. The other two are video audio flash triggers.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:01 AM   #34

Regret that I somehow got the attachment wrong. Here is the correct one
Attached Images

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:21 AM   #35

This would be a good time to note to those new to flashes that the Guide Number is the maximum distance of the flash's reach divided by the aperture. This means a flash unit with a guide number of 40 (ft @ ISO 100) will NOT provide proper illumination at a distance of 40 feet, unless your aperture is f/1.0 (which it most likely is not) or your ISO equilivancy is set to 800 (which would make the photo very grainy on most cameras).

Most digital cameras open up to about f/2.8 or so. Using that number, we find that the flash unit mentioned earlier will provide illumination to about 4m / 14ft. (12 / 2.8 = 4.286, 40 / 2.8 = 14.286). You get what you pay for.

[ Edit: I learned how to spell.]
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:14 AM   #36

Also, flash with zoom head will often advertise the guide number at tele setting to provide a BIG number, leading to false comparison.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:46 AM   #37

Vlad/Kcan-

What you have added is entirely true. That is why you will notice that I have been very conservative in stating flash ranges attained. I have not exceeded 25 to 28 feet, which is very easily attainable with these new and powerful slave flashes. I have also posted well exposed samples that fit into those expressed flash ranges.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:16 PM   #38

Speaklightly: Your "slave flash 101" has helped me greatly, as I never thought one could hold the flash in their hand...some times obvious concepts are not obvious to those who don't know...but one thing does confuse me:

The slave flash is triggered by the smaller inadequate flash in the digicam, as it is not wired into the camera...would there not be a "flash lag" similar to shutter lag, and, inphotographing a person, result in movement or blurring...in essence, wouldn't the slave flash fire AFTER the shutter has exposed the image???

Altho, would a slave flash, distant from the camera, eliminate red-eye, or would it still occur from the camera's own flash???

Thanks...Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:25 PM   #39

Hi bob-

Please recall from Physics 101 that the speed of light is 192,000,000 miles per hour. That makes slave flashes our good buddies and very useable photographic tools, because they (the slave flashes)will go off essentially at the very same time as that dinky little flash on your digital camera. So by using aslave flash you can very easily extend your digital camera's flash range from an actual 11 feet to 25 feet. Wow!

Take a look at the attached photo, please, Bob. You will notice that I completely eliminated red eye effect due to the balanced flash effect from not only one, but two flashes. At the very same time I have extended the flash range considerably, from a measly 11 feet to 25 feet. The result is that light is balanced throughout the photo. Yep, you too can do photos just exactly like this one!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:31 AM   #40

I Sarah thank for the info i have a Kodak DX7630 with no external flash so went out and bought a Sunpak Remotlite 11 I only got it this afternoon so I am looking forwould to try[ng it out

Thanks Arthur From Wangaratta
Arthurjf is offline   Reply With Quote