Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:24 AM   #41

Just confirming that the Sunpak 11 has the low trigger voltage of aprox 4 volts, so is OK too use with a digital camera. I think all flashgun makers should issue a health warning with their flashguns.:G
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:48 PM   #42

Sarah:

Thanks for the explanation...while I do remember the speed of light, I also thought that the slave flash,being a mechanical device, may not react as fast just because a flash of light appeared in front of it...

So, as I was assuming a mechanical lag of the trigger mechanism, which may have resulted in a lag in the flash of the slave...

Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 5:15 PM   #43

Bob-

I have used my slave flashes hundreds of times and I have never had a synch problem ever.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:24 PM   #44

Sarah and Bob,
If you don't mind, I like to add this illustration to show that the small lag of light + electronic components have no effect at all, this is in the nano-second range.
On the other hand, the flashes busts (camera and slave) are very short , in the millisecond and micro second range, and the whole process took place within the shutter opening time window. Speaking another way, all flashes can … take their time :G.

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:58 PM   #45

Thanks...I always enjoy flow charts, they often clarify things for my right (or is it left) brain mind...the analytical side of me...
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:43 PM   #46

Wow, kudos for the chart. I already had a decent understanding of the timing, but now it is much more precise.

-Sean
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:51 PM   #47

Thanks so very much KCan-

You have said it and illustrated it much better than I could have done.

The bottom line is simply this: For a minimal investment in a Slave Flash you can truly extend your flash range from a mere 10 to 12 feet to 25 feet or more. It is a great solution for putting light where you really want it to be.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:05 AM   #48

Hi K.

This is great, on the proviso that your slave flash ignores the preflash`s. As you have know I have an all singing all dancing HANIMEX flash that does not ignore the preflash. Mind you I think Noah used it too snap the bird he saw. Also my studio flash`s do not ignore the preflash`s. So when taking a studio portrait I have too take a studio flash reading and set the camera on manual to that reading.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:56 PM   #49

geriatric-

Yes, older slave flashes were not designed to ignore a pre-flash. However, all of that has changed completely. The new slave flashes can easily ignore any pre-flashes and they have gotten much smaller in size as well as having articulated flash heads, and rotatable flash bodies as well that allow you to turn the light sensors on the flash toward the digital camera's built-in flash unit

The attached photo illustrates one of the many bounce flash positions

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:59 PM   #50

Here is the second photo, showing the flash head positioned to the forward position.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images