Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:40 PM   #81

JH-

I have had no problems withmy Vivatar DF-200 firing properly. It has a swivel body that allows the sensor to "see" the on camera flash from your FZ-20, or any camera for that matter,quite easily.

Purchasing the accessory flash bracket was a wise move. There are many digital cameras where the slave cannot be mounted on the camera body due to obstructions provided by the on board f;lash.

However, in the final analysis, using a slave flash is an excellent way to extend your flsh range by a considerable distance.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:54 PM   #82

Melbourne Central Catholic. (Fla.) PLease someone explain to me how you can use a flash when so far away?
Crosseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:41 PM   #83

Using a flash at up to 60+ feet is no problem at all when using a good slave flash. Now you can use a flash with your telephoto lens. How about that.

MT
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:17 PM   #84

Yo Climber, I`ll try it again tonight. I`ll go outside and focus on a carin the parking lot, from approx. the same distance that I was when at the drag races, and give it a try. When I was at the drag races, I had the DF200 mounted on my bracket so that the flash sensor was pointing forwards to the car. After I re-try the DF200 set uplike that, I`ll dismount the slave, rotate the body 90 degrees so that the flash sensor is pointing more towards the pop up flash, and give it a whirl. I`ll be sure to letcha know how it goes!

S`later, JH :G
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:44 AM   #85

What you do is run gaily up to the 60m subject and put your slave flash there, run back to your camera (that is if nobody has thieved it) then take your shot on the hope your slave is good enough to go that far.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:56 AM   #86

Geriatric-

I appreciate your humor, however, usuing a slave flash realy does not work that way at all. The Slave flash is located right at the camera site.

I just don't want an confusion about using slave flashes.

MT
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:29 PM   #87

Well, it worked! I went out and set things up pretty much as it was when I was at the drags, and I did get the strobe. I tried it several times and each and every time, no problem. I even pointed it straight up at the night sky and again, it strobed.

Like we say in the copier repair business, "operator error." I suspect I might have bumped the cameraflash detect off/onbutton, and didn`t notice the indicator light.

Idid thentake the DF200 off the bracket and set it at about a 45 degree angle from my FZ20, and around10 feet away, tried it,and again it strobed. I then moved it to about 30 degree angle and about 15 feet away, tried it,and once again the DF200 strobed. No doubt now that the DF200 works as advertised and does make an excellent filler flash. The DF200 is back in my regular camera bag. I just have to remember to pack my brain in the bagwhen I go out on a shoot.

The below pic is the DF200 on the "L" bracket. I used a 35mm camera, because I was using the FZ20 for the pic. I chose that camera because it does have a similar pop up flash. The gray "glob" beneath the flash mount is an epoxy. The flash mount on that bracket is designed to pivot the flash unit up or down for bounce flash. The pivot mechanism weakened, which caused the flash unit to fall forward,but the epoxy locked the flash mount into place, for good. The Vivitar flash units already come with the pivoting featuere,..no epoxy required.

S`later, JH :G
Attached Images

John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:53 PM   #88

OK, I have finally finished reading the longest post ever! My brain is a bit on overload, so please bear with me. I have a Fuji 602. It does have a shoe for a flash, but is it in my best interest to buy a flash for the shoe or use a slave flash? Earlier in the posts someone had said that using the shoe was better, but then I get the impression that a slave flash is the way to go. I'm trying to get good indoor/low-light pictures of my kids doing karate, basketball and dance...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Any recommendations for either would be greatly appreciated!:?
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:50 AM   #89

What a strange gang of people on this site.One bloke saying "65+ feet, easily obtainable, then on another thread he`s saying I want a flash that will go to 50 feet. Another saying " It works using my flash at 10 and 15 feet" I don1t know who Mtclimber is trying too fool, but if that shot was made with a flash I will eat my camera. So that`s me finished with this forum
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:34 PM   #90

speaklightly, I wonder if you could post a link to a description of this flash. I have been looking for more information on it "just to make sure it will work with a Sony (due to pre flash) others have advertised they will work with a preflash and dont, or at least with the Sony's. I think they have a three flash and not just two, or something makes the slave shoot too quick. Any information on full description would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for you post on this flash unit.
cook is offline   Reply With Quote