Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:48 PM   #1

I recently bought this flash to go with my Panasonic FZ20. I used this combo at a wedding reception last Saturday and found that the flash was quite harse especially on images of peoples faces where I could actually get close to them (the podium was some 60 feet from where I could get the closest).

I am in Canada and looking to buy in Canada first, then USA after. I have seen the Gary Fong filter on his site, and it is a candidate, even though it is big and funny looking.

Oh as for the images I got, they would have been great for a first timer/total amateur if it was not for the washout/harshness of the flash.
tygersclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:22 PM   #2

tygersclaw wrote:
Quote:
....found that the flash was quite harse especially on images of peoples faces where I could actually get close to them
diffusers ideas:

http://www.pbase.com/john_down_under/flash_diffusers

http://www.lumiquest.com/

I suspect the main reason is a wrong flash exposure. Did you use manual power setting on the flash?
IMO, you should use manual exposure mode on camera, and the flash on auto mode (choice of F stop) , matching the aperture setting of the camera . A diffuser then give you the perfect result.
A diffuser alone can't give you good result if the flash burst the wrong "amount of light".
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote