Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 1, 2003, 11:11 AM   #1

Default Trubles using the 3600HS...Help

Folks, I have an issue, I am using the 3600hs flash with Dimage7 and the flash and camera don't seem to syncg sometimes, I get very dark pictures as if the flash fires after or before the camera takes the picture...everything is set to auto. If I take same picture with the built in flash it turns out a lot better...Any suggestions, Did I not set something on the camera right? Do I have to shoot on manual and select everything? Is this a firmware issue, I am still using the firmware that came with my camera...

Please help starting to get disappointed with the camera and the new flash that is suppose to give me better pictures.
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2003, 9:54 PM   #2

is it a HS3600D or a HS3600?
if it is not a "D" model it will not properly sync with a "D"igital minolta D7, D7i, or D7Hi.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 3:33 AM   #3

Yes, it is a 3600HS D.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:15 AM   #4

sorry didn't see this was double posted- ref to Minolta Forum and NHLs most recent answer.

by the way. if youir working with the original Firmware your loosing a bit of usability that the latest gives you. it gives the camera a few new tricks.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 1:19 PM   #5

Sorry I didn't know how to double post to the two different areas...also I am hoping to purchase the new firmware soon...just been reluctant to the cost...hoping it will show up on e-bay soon..or something.

thanks for the help
Old Feb 2, 2003, 4:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz
Sorry I didn't know how to double post to the two different areas...also I am hoping to purchase the new firmware soon...just been reluctant to the cost...hoping it will show up on e-bay soon..or something.

thanks for the help
You have to "purchase" new firmware upgrades form Minolta? If that's true, that would be one big reason NOT to buy a Minolta.

-Laserjock-
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 5:09 PM   #7

i don't know. added functionality has its advantages. some are willing some are not. this isn't a fix it's a upgrade in ability. the fixes are posted to the website for legal download free. the Upgrade is a purchase.

other than that it's not worth discussing. since it is available from Minolta only ebay won't be an option.

LaserJock- try that with a Nikon D100 and above in addition to having to pay for the update(as they call it Enhancement) you also have to ship it to them. and wait, though it is quick, to get it back.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 7:29 PM   #8
NHL

I agree with sjms. There's was nothing wrong with the camera, and several fixes were available for free @ the Minolta websites. Let's take for example, the fix for getting rid of the pre-flash for external flashes and its companion the automatic EVF overide for studio shoot, aren't we expecting less from Nikon here, where's this fix for the CP5000 let alone the CP5700?

The upgrade is an inexpensive way to get most of the capabilities of the newer D7i, while keeping features dear to the D7 such as its capability for Infrared as well as the larger colorspace. This was quite noble from Minolta to give their customers new features set (that were not part of their original purchase) for next to nothing:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...e7_firmup.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 3:56 PM   #9

OK, here goes the question, wher edo I find the firmware upgrade to eliminate the preflash and how does the EVF override help you in the studio and what is it?

Sorry I'm a newbie.

Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2003, 4:47 PM   #10
NHL

Jazz

Here's the link to the A1v122u firmware update:
http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...etail=Software

All the D7s are What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) cameras in manual, ie meaning the camera reflects exactly what would be recorded at the corresponding shutter/aperture EV values. This works fine for manual shots without using an exposure meter, and is actually a very nice feature to have especially for nightime or moonlight shots; However, at 1/60s and F8 in manual for example used to sync external strobes, you are not going to be able to see anything in a darkened studio! This functions identically to a mechanical SLR when the aperture is stopped down. By pushing the 'function' and 'i+' the EVF is turned to an auto-brigtness mode where you can use the EVF in the dark as it's daytime. The camera will also show a red 'M' overide icon in its EVF when this feature is enabled to remind the photographer that the WYSIWYG is off (ie the picture won't be representative of the EVF anymore) and will be controlled by the external strobes settings.

This firmware update also prevents the pre-flash from firing (ie 1 flash pulse only) when the camera is put on manual so you can use the camera built-in flash (or your 3600HS) to trigger studio strobes... 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote