Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 25, 2005, 3:22 PM   #1

I have a trusty old N6006. The last Nikon Flash unit referenced by Nikon for the 6006 is the SB25. Can the 6006 benefit from the newer SB26 or SB28? I know the SB28 produces more light but would the 28 (or 26) enable other features to get to/from the 6006? I've read about the 26 and 28 but wonder if it will go to waste on a 6006? Any other brand that enables newer features?
Where else should I direct this question (if not here)?
John Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:04 PM   #2

will this help? :

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/speedlights.htm
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:51 PM   #3

Yes. Big help.I am however puzzled just how much more light output eachflash unithas... seems like the frame of reference for Guide Numbers shiftsfrom one flash unit to another :?. In absolute terms how much moreoutputare SB24, SB26 and SB27 units over the built in N6006 flash, and among them?

Second question concerns zoom capability. It seems incredible the N6006 camera would not have automatic zoomcommunication with the a senior Nikon flash unit. If I have correct that it doesn't, are there any non-Nikon units that will provide this benefit to a 6006?Is there a technical reason behind forcing the operator to do it manually?:idea:
John Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:40 PM   #4

John Olson wrote:
Quote:
In absolute terms how much moreoutputare SB24, SB26 and SB27 units over the built in N6006 flash, and among them?
I don't know any absolute characteristic of a flash ensemble (in term of lighting units) , and probably manufacturers never made it public. But the GN is a good basic way to compare flashes max power, as long as we read carefully and compare them on the same basis, ie: GN must be compared at the same ISO and same coverage angle or zoom setting)

From the link above:
SB-24 has a GN 118 at 35mm (with ISO 100 film and meters), GN 160 at 85mm.
>> this is certainly an error, GN 118 and 160 are feet, not meters, even the Metz 60 don't have that power

SB-27 has a GN 112 (ISO 100 feet) with zoom set in 50mm position

SB26 no GN in that link, but in this one:
http://www.bythom.com/sb26.htm
here, the SB26 has a GN of 118 (ft), 36 (m) at what coverage??
Coverage: (102 degrees horizontal, 90 degrees vertical) 18mm lens; also supports 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, and 85mm coverage

The 18 mm zoom coverage seems not correspond to this GN (118 )because they mention a separate "diffuser" to get that 18mm coverage.

The SB26 zoom can be set at 85mm coverage, so at least, this flash is capable of a GN of 118 at 85 mm, at wider angle, the GN will be lower

So, as you see, with the above data, we can't even compare these 3 Nikon flashes clearly. But we can say that:
- The SB24 (GN118 at 35mm) is likely more powerful than the SB27 (GN112 at 50mm)
(because the SB27 will certainly have a GN much lower than 118 at 35 mm, this is consistent as the SB27 is a compact design flash)
- The SB26 can at least have a GN of 118 @ 85mm , because since we don't have that affirmation, this is the "worst" case.

(manufacturer often … "forget" to mention the coverage angle/zoom setting , and advertise the biggest GN value, witch correspond to the narrowest coverage angle , or the longest zoom setting)

Comparing to the N6006 built in flash:
http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/n6006.htm
Built-in TTL flash: Guide number: 43 (at ISO 100, 20°C, ft.); angle of coverage: 28mm lens or longer; TTL auto flash including automatic balanced Fill-Flash is possible

You see that the built in flash is much weaker, you can compare it as GN43 at any zoom setting (28mm or longer) since the build in flash can not be "zoomed" to get a higher GN.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote