Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:02 PM   #1

Hi,I have an old Sunpak flash called B 3600 AF (specially designed for Canon) that has served me well with my old analog Canon. I now got myself a Rebel XT, and it doesn't seem to work properly.It does trigger the flash when I take a picture, but I have to manually adjust the exposure on the XT in Manual, otherwise the picture is completely overexposed. It looks like it's not doing any TTL measure, but just flashing at full power, and the XT simply acts like there was no flash (aside from triggering it). After correcting the exposure, the pictures are great, but this kind of a hassle.Can someone explain this to me? Is this flash too old, or is this some form of bad contact?
lekjart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:07 PM   #2

lekjart wrote:
Quote:
HiIt does trigger the flash when I take a picture, but I have to manually adjust the exposure on the XT in Manual, otherwise the picture is completely overexposed. It looks like it's not doing any TTL measure, but just flashing at full power, and the XT simply acts like there was no flash (aside from triggering it).
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...belxt_pg2.html

Your camera (and many other digital cameras) seems not support old ttl flash protocol. So use it in manual mode , with partial power, or auto mode (aperture setting) if you your flash have these mode. Or get a new "uptodate ttl" flash :-)

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:09 AM   #3

Its most probably set up for Canon T90, and the "A" series. What I did was snip the two rear wires in the flash hotshoe mount, leaving the center pin connected.. This is in case the electronics of the camera and flash clash. Flash, clash. The mans a poet and don`t know it.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:50 PM   #4

hmm. snip the wires? What happens then? Does the flash work as it should?
lekjart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 5:29 AM   #5

Hi!

As I never own any Canon, my son own a Nikon D-70, and with the same Sunpak that you have, but dedicated for Nikon named 433AF, I cover the front pin contact with a "Scotch-tape", and "WORKS", (Nikon's dedicated pins), my advice is that you try to cover the back pins on your Sunpak flash, ONE by ONE, cover the left one insert the flash to the camera select "Auto" Yellow F;4 with 100 ISO, make a picture and look at the back LCD how looks. don't work or works wrong...cover the right pin on your Sunpak strobe, discover the earlier one and a second try...till will work, again Canon I never use it, however with the Nikon D-70 my son can see at the viewfinder that the Sunpak is ready for use, and after the same signal "Blink: 3 times...so the "Auto" setting was correct.

I really hope, that in your Canon will do the same functions...it's OK, for more you MUST acquire a newer originally or Sigma compatible flash for your lovely camera.

Inform us if my advice was right...

Good Luck,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:59 AM   #6

It operates as a manual flash, setting up power requirements on the flash itself.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:20 PM   #7

Hi Geriatric!

You wrote as your response to me, this!

>It operates as a manual flash, setting up power requirements on the flash itself.<:!:

Sorry, but...really I can't comprehend your reply.:!:

If...your Sunpak is equal or similarly like mine, you can use it ONLY AT AUTO setting, you select the F; per example Yellow F:4 at 100 ISO, and the same you set in Manual "preferable"...and shutter speed 1/60 - 1/250...so the flash will work as intended/specified.

I will be extremely pleased if you can try to explicate yourself much easy to comprehend.

Waiting for your kindly reply,

Regards,

Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:38 AM   #8

Asthe camera (T90) was used with the flash, when the flash charged up ready, the camera would follow the settings you set up on the flash.As the two wires that you cut seperates the camera and the flash, you have too manually set the camera to suite the settings. I had a Canon 299T flash that I used with my T90 and A1 cameras,which on AUTO fired an infra red beam to set up my shot , but on manual I had too set up the desired aperture.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:11 AM   #9

Hi Geriatric!

Now I can comprehend better...thank you so much!

I will try to explain you with my very bad English "THE WHY"...your Sunpak dedicated for "Older" film Canon cameras IS NOT really suitable for your Rebel XT one.

As happen with Nikon...Konica/Minolta; Canon also follow the "Same" trend, that "I" call "NOT SO HONORABLE". You must buy the last flash model mainly from Canon, for obtain "ALL" the "does good"...that the body can deliver.

Exist also the possibility of buy a Sigma compatible flash, for Canon; much cheaper that the best Canon one 550, and will give you all the "Facilities"...of the originally one.

So the last sentence...exist the "Cheapest" issue; that you can stillness utilizing your Sunpak...but only at "Auto" settings, and cover ALL the contacts leaving alone the central contact!

I hope that my advice will serve you well:!:

Regards,