Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:34 PM   #1

I recently purchased the FZ30 camera to replace my Nikon 8800 that was to slow for photographing birds.

My question is about the Nikon SB-800speedlight I have for my 8800 and the Promaster 5750 flash I used on my E10. Will either of these flashes work on my FZ 30? I hate to purchase another flash if one of these will work as well.

I'm such a chicken to try either flash without asking first. And do I need to make changes in the FZ30 settings? Also will I be able to use the ITTL on the Nikon?

Please keep it simple. I turn into an idiot every time I have to learn a new camera

thanks in advance!
Terri
okiebirdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:58 PM   #2

okiebirdnerd wrote:
Quote:
My question is about the Nikon SB-800speedlight I have for my 8800 and the Promaster 5750 flash I used on my E10. Will either of these flashes work on my FZ 30? I hate to purchase another flash if one of these will work as well.
It will work as manual, full power only (unless they have manual or auto setings, I think not)

on the hotshoe, cover all unused pins execpt the center one.

okiebirdnerd wrote:

Quote:
And do I need to make changes in the FZ30 settings?
I am not sure, seems that you have to set the "external flash on" , FZ30 users will confirm that, or look in the camera manual.

okiebirdnerd wrote:
Quote:
Also will I be able to use the ITTL on the Nikon?
iTTL with the Nikon flash on the FZ30? absolutely not.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 7:39 PM   #3

I don't have a ready answer to your question, but I would suggest a little experimentation. I too don't have unlimited funds and hate it when the manufacturers come out with a new flash.

I bought a Nikon SB-26 for my N90s film camera. I tried using the SB-26 with myD70s digital camera, but found it does not work with the iTTL mode. So I broke down and bought a SB600 for exclusive use on the D70s.

I also own a Leica Digilux 2, which has a flash pin pattern very similar to the Nikon's. Instead of buying a Leica flash unit (at around $300 for a non-bouncing unit), I experimented with the SB-26 and found it worked just fine, even when usingthe SB-26 off-camera while connected to the camera via the Nikon SC-17 cord. If that didn't work, I might have been forced to buythe Leica unit.

So if I were you,experiment with the equipment you already own and only buy anotherflash unit if it doesn't work.

amateurdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:04 PM   #4

amateurdabbler wrote:
Quote:
Instead of buying a Leica flash unit (at around $300 for a non-bouncing unit), I experimented with the SB-26 and found it worked just fine
, the SB26 can act as a fine generic flash with all the manual power and aperture automodes settings.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:36 AM   #5

Good morning and thanks for the quick reply. I guess my concern was with the voltage not being right and burning up my new camera So, what happens if I don't cover up the pins? Do I just use duct tape? I'm hoping the FZ30 will endmy frustration and I'll get'in focus' shots before the bird flies away from now on.I put up with slow start up time on my8800 for almost a year and it just wouldn't focus especially in low light. And the manual focus was a joke.The subject looked in focus but once I'd view it on my PC it just wasn't focused. Here's a photo I took a few weeks ago in my yard of an Olive-sided Flycatcher. Obviously I didn't have time to get my settingsright...but I was to busy trying to get the camera to focus so I could get a positive ID before he flew off I know the Nikon was not meant for fast action shots and I was moreimpressed with it having the image stabilizer and the 10x zoom..and of course the 8 mp was the clincher....well if we are suppose to learn from ALL our mistakes, I'm wondering why I'm not a genius yet Anyway, thanks again for your time! Terri Well either I don't know how to attach a photo or it won't let me...it's 140 kb and not showing in the preview.
Attached Images

okiebirdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:47 AM   #6

okiebirdnerd wrote:
Quote:
I guess my concern was with the voltage not being right and burning up my new camera So, what happens if I don't cover up the pins? Do I just use duct tape?
A precision here: cover the other pins does not protect your camera from high trigger voltage, this simply avoid interferences of non compatible signals.
The trigger voltage is present at the center pin which is connected to your camera, check here for the voltage, or you can measure it yourself, then check with your camera to know if it's safe:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

==============

Beside, adding a flash will not help you to get better focused pictures. If the manual focus does not work as you want, try spot focus (if you have this)