Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 14, 2002, 6:18 PM   #11
NHL

Sometime one can not base everything on pricing alone, for one if I've bought a CT45 it would have been still supported by now unlike the 522... Vendor usually stock Metz accessories, but with Sunpak it's off and on. Ritz used to be a big supporter of Sunpak when I bought mine, but no more... 3rd party HV attachment accessories are another.

Like the Minolta, one would be playing the Rodney Dangerfield role since people will automatically assume that the Nikon or the Metz are better (far from the truth)!!! But for me it's different since I already own the 522 (will all the filters and zoom attachments) I rather have a Metz just to be different, and I can always play the game of 'my other car is a Metz'...LOL. Plus I also envy the finish on the Metz over the Sunpak even though they're probably both made of the same material...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 1:51 AM   #12

You don't make such a compelling argument NHL. I'm not going to spend twice as much money to impress people that assume expensive&German automatically equals better. Yes, I'm taking a small gamble since Sunpak hasn't come out with a D7 module but I think it's a low risk. As for getting sunpak stuff B&H carries it as does local pro shop Photomark in Phoenix. Maybe Sunpak will make the 555 obsolete someday but since it cost me half as much it's a low risk deal. I've done some checking around and third parties do make HV connectors. The Sunpak 555 and 622 have been around a while and I don't anticipate them going away.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 7:28 AM   #13

I just saw yesterday a sale on 45CL-4 here, for 499 Can$ ,= 573$ with tax inc, make it roughly 360 $us .
I am not sure now , but 1 year ago, they still come with Nicad bat , 6 x 500mAh (only)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 8:38 AM   #14

I can get a Metx 45CL-4 for $322US and a Sunpak 55 for $170 from B&H Photo
Old Jul 15, 2002, 9:16 AM   #15

Seems to be a good buy (the Sunpack)
Although I love my Metz flash, I find that it have a little "old look" ( un aspect un peu vieillot ) . Sunpack has a more "techno look"

[Edited on 7-15-2002 by KCan]
Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:06 PM   #16

Default Metz adapter for Dimage 5/7

From these articles , I have a vague idea that something may be ready for D5/D7/D7i , but I can't understand German , so

http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pag..._alte_mbs.html

http://www.digitalkamera.de/Info/News/13/46.htm

I appreciate if anyone could resume the news for us

PS: sorry , the first link may be too long , just copy and paste the whole thing in your brownser

[Edited on 7-15-2002 by KCan]
Old Jul 30, 2002, 3:21 PM   #17

Default 45 CL-4 Metz adapter for D5/7

Look here

[Edited on 7-30-2002 by KCan]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:34 PM   #18

Default German potato smasher

Does that mean the spuds are German or... At any rate my problem was solved when I ran across a ganga at a little Indiana photo shop while on vacation in the form of a lightly used Metz 45CL-4. Unfortunately I left my sync adapter at home so won't get to test it with the camera until later next week. curiously the shop had put four Digipower NiMH cells and two Energizer lithium cells in it. Going to try it with six of the Panasonic cells I had gotten at Big Lots. According to Metz it throws off manual settings and decreases max range but auto and TTL modes should compensate for the lower voltage.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:51 PM   #19

Padeye,
The normal (alkaline) battery rack have electrical contacts to the body for that purpose ( 9V)
The rechargeable rack ( original NiCad) use different contacts to the body ( FOR 7.2v)
( I did replaced my NiCad with NiMH, posted in the old forum)
You can try right way manual mode (with different setting) and auto modes .
If set in TTL, it should fire full output.
and the secondary tube is enabled by the right sliding switch at the back
Old Aug 2, 2002, 8:12 AM   #20

Thanks Kcan, that makes sense of the "unused" contact in the bottom of the battery cavity in the handle. I recall your post but didn't save a copy of it. IIRC you said the cells in the NiCd cluster aren't the same size as AAs. At any rate I think a good external battery would be a good investment. Going to consider the digitalcamerabattery system for flash and camera.