Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 2, 2002, 8:22 AM   #21

finally! someone figures out the DCB has a great deal of versitility. i've built my system around it. it works flawlessly.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 11:23 AM   #22

Padeye and sjms ,

For me ( and my use) , I don't use any bat pack .
For the Metz it self , since I put 6 x 1700mAh (in the NiCad rack), it last more than I ever need. I will even convert my other Nicad rack ( more recent) to NiMH , plus a spare with 6 fresh alkaline , I am done for several days without recharging.

About the AA size : the original NiCad AA's was a bit (2 mm ) shorter than the AA normal format ( alkaline and NiNH AA ), so if you replace it, do not put to much solder , you may need to discard the bottom spring as well , and replace it with a thin foam .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 6:56 PM   #23

Is there any way to get the NiCad rack short of buying a new NiCad cluster for sixty dollars? Is there any way to modify the standard rack to use the 7.2v contact? Trying to keep my options open until I buy a different battery system.

Say, what kind of cells do the digitalcamerabattery systems use?
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 7:04 PM   #24

i use one well conceived and executed BP to power both camera and strobe. it hangs off my belt. this reduces the overall camera weight and increases the life under use stress. i save my energy for the kayak paddle. its used on 5 different devices so far. it increases the reliability of my imaging system. it will work on my next camera. try it sometime.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:05 PM   #25

Default Metz Rack terminals

Quote:
Originally posted by padeye
Is there any way to get the NiCad rack short of buying a new NiCad cluster for sixty dollars? Is there any way to modify the standard rack to use the 7.2v contact? Trying to keep my options open until I buy a different battery system.
Padeye,

Of course you can, I did not do it b/c I don't need to, and I have already the Metz charger that plug directly into the rechargeable rack.

As you see here it should be a piece of cake!
Lucky enough , the spring loaded contact pins are on the Metz body side, so you just have to provide a fixed contact area.
You have to remember ( or label the rack ) that it is for 7.2 V rating. I don't know what will happen if you put 9 V into those terminal .
Old Aug 3, 2002, 7:09 AM   #26
NHL

The DCB (the smallest one) uses 16 1.2V AA NiMh rechargeable... to which you have to add the various voltage regulators and step-up HV circuits (ie heat/conversion loss) is this why it's also made out of metal?

Bear in mind that KCan approach at least triple the capacity over the Nicad when he posted it with the D7 over the old forum for much less (ie. a trip to Walmart) with nothing to wear around your belt !!! (you should see the other versions of the DCB... which all need to be slow charged BTW)

[Edited on 8-3-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 7:29 AM   #27

Okay. In addition to switching the exposed contacts in the cage part of the battery rack I'll have to rearrange the spring contacts in the base as the current arrangement would not make a complete circuit. It's obvious Metz designed the plastic part to work with both racks depending on how the springs were rivited to the base.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 7:43 AM   #28
NHL

Padeye

I believe KCan is working on the step by step conversion that he did over the old forum... I praised him for his dexterity on soldering NiMh together without soldered tab (but he did it!). Wish we could link back... There was so much info lost that I have to post back here again!

KCan

Did you ohm out -9V and -7.2V inside the Metz slot? (ie. if they are connected together internally then...) It might not work for the charger though...

[Edited on 8-3-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 10:50 AM   #29

Padeye , NHL :

I guess it's useful to present clearly the 2 cases:

There is 2 kinds of Metz rack:

1) The (what I call) Alkaline Rack, model 45-39, is conceived to be loaded with 6 replaceable ( of course) 1.5V AAs alkaline, and have a rated voltage of 9V, and the contacts correspond to this voltage , both sides ( the rack and the body)

2) The (what I call) rechargeable rack, model 45-40 (sold with the charger as "NC Charger Set B 45" ) , came all packed with 6 not replaceable 1.2 V, 500 mAh NiCad AA format cells. This rack have a rated voltage of 7.2 V , and the contacts correspond to this voltage , both sides ( the rack and the body) , and the rack has a Metz connector in the bottom for the Metz NiCad charger .

A) What Padeye would have to do ( and what I did not have the need to) is loading 6 ordinary NiMH ( or NiCad as well) format cells into the Alkaline rack. the only thing you have to do is manage to have the contacts to be the same as on the rechargeable rack .
The easiest way is to do is "mask out" the 9V contact with an insulating material , and connect this contact to a new one to make the 7.2 V contact . ( the + contact is the same for the 2 racks )
You don't have to touch or modify anything else.
But: the rack is now "rated 7.2 V" , so don't put alkaline in, the Metz will see 9V on the contacts it expects to see 7.2 V.

Of course , you have to recharge your NiMH with your own way since they are just replaceable AA you put into a rack .

B) My conversion from NiCad to NiMH have nothing to do with the Alkaline rack . I take the rechargeable rack, dismantle it, solder NiMH cells to replace NiCad cell, that's it.
My note was about the size of the cell: Normal AA NiNH ( what I use ) are 2 mm longer than the original NiCad cells in the rack ( because the NiCad are manufactured without the "nipple" on the positive side, what for? they were destined for soldered package use anyway) .
In the bottom of the rechargeable rack , there is a big coil spring that you can see here , designed to take the play ( the loose ?) and to avoid movement of the cells. The extra 2 mm of the new ordinary NiMH exceed the range of this spring. So I have to take it out , and replace it with a foam to insure the compactness of the NiMH.

NHL,
I did measure the voltage on the 2 racks just to verify the contacts as I labeled on this pic. Of course , I wrote 9V and 7.2V as rated voltage.
And I reposted the old thread conversion here

=========================

By the way, if you think about powering the Metz from AC main, there is the "Mains Unit N 23 " destined for the CL-4
I have the the N 21-B, for my CT-1 . They are designed to provide direct High Voltage to charge the flash, they are not "low voltage adapter ".
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:38 PM   #30

NHL
it is a dual independent regulated outputs on the pack. i think he put a little more engineering work in it than you think.
http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com/capacity.htm
nice try on the heat factor. like any other battery pack when charging it will get warm. but in use with both camera and 5600 strobe all day it never warms up even when i use with my sb-28 or the 5600d in multi flash mode. they heat up but the BP doesn't. this thing stays cooler than me in an air conditioned room. and the little HV adapter it gets a little warm when i do full out blasts. and of course that 2.5-3.5 sec HV recycle time on a BP that hasn't been charged in a week and a half vs a 7-8 seconds on just off the charger nimh AA batteries. oh yeah- those are full power blasts, not controlled.
all your info on the DCP is based on no experience or knowledge of the product. try finding out more about it before you try to make less of it than it is.
i guess you can say the same of me about the MD. i will have one in hand in about a week to use for 30 days. i'll see.

[Edited on 8-4-2002 by sjms]