Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 2, 2002, 6:32 PM   #1

Default Sunpak 555 with Dimage 7?

I'd like to go with a bracket flash rather than shoe mounted but don't want to pony up the bucks for a Metz. Any suggestions?
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2002, 1:24 PM   #2
NHL

I heard that the Sunpak 5000 may be compatible with the D7(i), but it's not a potato smasher...

The reason people go with the Metz is their standard sca adapters which support numerous camera (one available soon for the D7). What I've found with the Sunpak is that although lower in cost, they rather come out with newer and incompatible models (I have a 5's something with a Canon dedicated module that is no longer supported)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 2:26 PM   #3

The 555, which has been around a long time, does have dedicated TTL adapters but not a D7 specific one yet. Someone on Dpreview said they plan on one but rumors, vaporware and $5 will get you a cup of coffee these days. Metz will have the adapter available and does have a fill flash tube the Sunpak doesn't. My NIkon SB-16 has the fill tube, a terrific feature. The Metz 45CL-4 is twice the cost of the Sunpak for the same amount of power. I'm considering taking a chance on the Sunpak as I know I can get terrific results in thyristor mode as I did with my SB-11 and film Nikons.

On, the 5000 flash works with the D7 but not in TTL mode.

[Edited on 7-3-2002 by padeye]
Old Jul 10, 2002, 11:58 AM   #4

Default PZ 5000AF

i just called Tocad America the distributer of sunpak. i spoke to the product mgr. he said that none of their products support any auto functions such as ADI on the minolta Digital. he went so far as to say that it fire the flash. it is designed for the maxxum series only for all auto functions. they are in developement of a 4000af for the dimage. availability approx 2003. i don't think thats an option. give them a call and they'll explain. they want you to buy their product but they don't want to sell you the wrong product.
Tocad America 973.428.9800

[Edited on 7-10-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2002, 12:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. I emailed tocad but got no reply. Looks like I'll have to pony up the bucks for a Metz 45CL-4 if I want the power and features.

I spoke too soon. Just after I posted I got a reply from Marc Heller at Tocad. No digitcal compatible flashes are available now but flashes and dedicated modules are under development and should be available by the end of the year. I may take the risk and get a Sunpak 555. I can use it in Thyistor mode in the meantime. For half the cost of a Metz I'll get the same amount of power.

[Edited on 7-11-2002 by padeye]
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:20 PM   #6

yeah, and they call the usps snail mail. sometimes the direct vocal approach gets the answer a little quicker. sprint pcs free long distance- reach out and touch someone.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:33 PM   #7
NHL

Just out of curiosity will the 555 adapter work with my older 522? It also has a DIN 5-pins dedicated module for my Canon...
Old Jul 13, 2002, 11:29 PM   #8

Okay Sunpak mavens, I;ve decided to get a 555 and use it in thyristor mode tuntil a D7 module is relased if it is. I'll also use it possibly with my F3 and may get the module for that. What cord should I get? What generic ISO module can I get to put the sensor on the D7's Fs-1100 adapter? I see no reason to spend $80 on a Maxxum module when it won't give me the features. For thyristor mode is it best to just use a plain sync cord and leave the sensor on the flash?
Old Jul 14, 2002, 5:28 AM   #9
NHL

padeye

If my memory serves me correctly the standard PC sync cord comes with my 522, and it use a phono jack on the side of the smash potato head. The optional dedicated module is a lockable DIN plug that plug in the back ot the head, next to the HV power supply... The dedicated module not only move the photoeye to the camera (if not in TTL), but also the ASA scale selection...

May be a buyer remorse (couldn't afford it), but I wished I bought the Metz back then... (With time the price difference doesn't matter...)

[Edited on 7-14-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 14, 2002, 9:22 AM   #10

Okay, I'm all for buying better but tell me why Metz is worth twice as much as a Sunpak for the same amount of power? Both have aproximately the same guide number with a wide angle of coverate, both use similar power supplies so should have similarr recycle times. The Germans haven't found a way to change the physics of capaciitors yet.