Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:04 AM   #1

as far as i know the fuji s5200 does not have a hot shoe on its head.

is there anyway to use an external flash with it...

Karim
aakarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:18 PM   #2

No hotshoe: only solution: slave flash

1) You can disable preflash:
- any generic flash+slave cell
- any "slave flash" on the market

2) You can not disable preflash:
- most of "digital slave flash" on the market

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:56 PM   #3

I noticed a setup on ebay with a vivitar slave flash with preflash compatibility as well as the bracket to attatch it to the mount on the bottom of the camera. It looked like it was about $50 plus shipping. I found it when I was searching for panFZ20 stuff, I wasnt looking for a flash but looked at out of curiosity looked like an adequete set up I cant remember if I checked their feedback though. The lack of hot shoe is why Im not getting a S5200, likely a FZ20.
mnosbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:53 AM   #4

I currently have a Fuji S5200 with a Metz 45 CL-1 equipped with a Wein Peanut slave sensor. The setup seems to work pretty well and I would imagine would work well with most flashes equipped with a normal "pc" cord. The syncing is not really a problem but to get a better sync and proper exposure full manual has to be used and filtering with black tape over the sensor seems to do the trick. Tape strip over the top of the sensor seems to work in most situations, don't know why but it works. The Fuji S5200 is not supposed to fire a preflash in manual mode but I could be wrong. If anyone has a logical explanation please fill me in. The only thing about the setup I don't like is you get false fires in a crowd of photographers and the filtering may have to be adjusted for different situations like the venue or simple ISO settings. I think the S5200 even in manual mode adjust the onboard flash for different ISO settings. Again if someone can fill me in please do. Thanks...........Ron
noah2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:44 AM   #5

noah2001 wrote:
Quote:
Tape strip over the top of the sensor seems to work in most situations, don't know why but it works.
If you tape the flash sensor, then the flash will always fire full power at all settings in "auto" (the aperture selector is no more relevant)

noah2001 wrote:
Quote:
The only thing about the setup I don't like is you get false fires in a crowd
Get the slave sensor close to(/in front) of the camera flash and cover with opaque material so the slave sensor sees the camera flash but nothing else.

noah2001 wrote:

Quote:
...the filtering may have to be adjusted for different situations ...
Use your Metz in "auto" mode and set camera aperture matching the flash setting.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies guys but the sensor I'm filtering with black tape is the Wein Peanut sensor. I've tried other materials but the 1/4 " black tape strips seem to work the best. Again don't know why but flash just works better this way with proper exposures when the camera is in full manual and flash is in full auto for battery conservation. I also heard that Fuji cameras do not fire a preflash that confuses me even more. If anyone has a logical explanation please fill me in. Thanks again.
noah2001 is offline   Reply With Quote