Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:26 PM   #11

I shoot local football games with a Canon 20D and a 70mm - 200mm f2.8 lens for a studio. We use the new Canon 580ex flash unit with great results. It is strong and on the Canon is pulls some power from the camera battery so it charges quickly.

Good luck!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:33 AM   #12
NHL

The 580EX is less powerdul with a GN of 190 (against 200/229) and costs more than what mtclimber is willing to spend

IMO you're in the rarified high-power strobe tier and these professional units tend to be expensive anyway, so the Sunpak 622 is probably the most affordable for its capability, and fit your price range - Also look at the used market for considerable saving...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:39 AM   #13

I think KCan is as confused as I am with some of the replies on this thread.:?
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:04 PM   #14
NHL

Hey KCan, comprends tu mes explications?
... ou c'est trop cryptique :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:07 PM   #15

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I do a lot of flash photos are long distances (using a telephoto lens), generally 50 to 70 feet away from the subject, and am looking for a really powerful slave flash. I am currently using a Vivitar DF-200 and it is not powerful enough.

Thanks for ther help.

MT
I thought you said 65+ feet, no probs, now you are looking for a flash 50-70 feet. Even large hammerheads will have problems with this 65+ feet distance
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:46 PM   #16
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
For example the Sunpak 622 Pro has a GN of 200 in ft, i.e. twice as powerful as your Vivitar DF-200 (GN of 92)
-> which means the Sunpak 622 can reach 70ft @ f/2.8(=200/70) using ISO 100

Of course both flashes can go further out if you can increase the ISO
Take your Vivitar DF-200 - if you shoot at ISO 400 instead, the GN then becomes 262
-> 262/70 = 3.74, i.e. you can get to 70ft with lens opening of f/3.5 or larger
NHL:

You might want to double check your math for the DF-200. ;-)

Each time you double the ISO speed, the GN should increase by approximately 1.4x

Unless I'm missing something (and I sometimes do), she won't get that much range at ISO 400 and f/3.5 out of the DF-200).

MT:

You could probably get by with something a bit less powerful (not to mention cheaper and lighter) compared to the Sunpak 622 if you can shoot at f/4 at higher ISO speeds (you mentioned using up to ISO 800).

If you like a handle mount flash, check out the Sunpak 544. It's only $129.95 at B&H, and it's got a GN of 140 feet at ISO 100. It's a smaller, lighter, and less expensive solution compared to the 622.

To see your flash range, divide the GN by the aperture. For example, at ISO 100 and f/4, you should be able to reach around 35 feet with a Sunpak 544 (140/4 = 35). That would get you close to 70 feet at ISO 400. You could get further at ISO 800 (up to about 100 feet in a pinch shooting at f/4).

Here is a page explaining the relationship:

http://www.shortcourses.com/how/guid...idenumbers.htm

Make sure you've actually got f/4 available at the desired focal lengths when shopping for flashes. For example, that Tamron 28-300mm lens I've seen you mention stops down to a maximum available aperture of only f/6.3 at it's longest zoom setting (so, even ISO 800 won't get you all the way to 70 feet with it if you want correct exposure on it's long end).

But, take into consideration that most lenses are a bit softer wide open, too (so you may want a more powerful flash than something like a Sunpak 544 to allow you to stop down the aperture more).

I'd also make sure the camera you're planning on using has reliable ISO speed ratings when shopping for flashes. Some of the non-DSLR models tend to "fudge" the ISO rating a bit (for example, the ISO 800 setting may really be ISO 640 with some Sony models).

The Sunpak 544 uses a PC sync cord. So, if you are using a camera that doesn't have a sync port, you'd need a way to trigger it (hot shoe to PC port adapter; Wein Peanut Slave trigger or similar device if using the camera's flash to trigger it).

In a crowd, a direct connection to the camera is preferred, or at least a radio controlled slave trigger (an optical slave can be triggered by other camera's flashes).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:56 PM   #17

Jim-

Thanks for the very useful post. With my current setup, using the biggest slave Bower has, and my Olympus E-300 to trigger it, plus the 40-150 Zukio telephoto (F 3.5-F 4.5) and setting my ISO at 800 I can reach out to about 55 feet.

That will take care of my needs without going to a "potato masher" flash unit.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:06 PM   #18
Administrator

Actually, I'm probably going to buy a handle mount flash when I need a bit more range with my Maxxum 5D.

I'm trying to decide between a Metz 45 CL1 and a Sunpak 544 now.

You can find both of them on the used market at bargain prices.

These are also auto thrystor type units (they have Auto Modes with multiple aperture ranges).

So, you can set the flash to match the camera's aperture and ISO speed, with the flash controlling it's own output for proper exposure (by measuring reflected light during the exposure via a built in sensor).

I'm probably going to buy a few flashes for it (smaller unit for most uses, something with a GN of around 100 for mid range use, and something around 140 - 150 for longer range use). I'll go Auto Thyristor versus dedicated.

I've got some older units. But, the trigger voltages are too high for me to trust them without some voltage isolation via a hot shoe attached adapter (no PC sync port on the 5D).

So, I'll buy some newer (to me) used units with acceptable trigger voltages. LOL

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:26 PM   #19

I am certainly no flash expert, but when I use a flash above ISO800, I start getting some unpredictable results.

It's hard to control flash power at that sensitivity.

I agree with NHL, just get yourself something used andbad*ss with a high GN.

If your taking lots of flash shots, you might need a hip belt battery pack.

A four pack of NIMH batteries won't cut it for throwing out that kind of light all night long.

-- Terry

PS: That lady should be arrested for showing off legs like that...
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:03 PM   #20

Terry-

Take a look at this outfit. It can get excellent photos out to 50 feet with great dependability all for $(US) 49.00.

MT

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote