Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:15 PM   #1

I would like to ask you clever guys a question....
I have a small digital studio and have been using the Fuji S7000 since it came out... and have just got the new S9500.

With the 7000 I usually triggered my studio flash with the camera flash and used Aperture Priority @ F7.
The flash tube just blew on the 7000 so I've been using a small external flash to trigger my main light and for that I need to use Manual shutter/Aperture.

Trying out the 9500 I found that using my old settings...Aperture Priority @ F7 gave me avery darkpicture....Auto the same.....Shutter Priority 1/60 @ F 7 the same ????

I have to use the external flash again on Manual...to get a picture that can be seen.

I'm assuming that... with the 7000 opening the camera's flash unit over-rides the shutter settings.... whereas with the 9500 it doesn't... so using Aperture priority with forced flash the shutter still goes off for several seconds.

Is this right or does my camera have a fault?
fabianfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:10 PM   #2

fabianfred wrote:
Quote:
Trying out the 9500 I found that using my old settings...Aperture Priority @ F7 gave me avery darkpicture....Auto the same.....Shutter Priority 1/60 @ F 7 the same ????

I have to use the external flash again on Manual...to get a picture that can be seen.

There is no reasons that the old settings won't work again, no matter witch camera. It sounds likes your actual flash does preflash, makes the studio light bursts too soon. It should have a manual flash settings (without preflash) like on your old camera.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:10 AM   #3
NHL

What's wrong with using the PC-sync terminal?
... Unlike the S7000, doesn't the 9500 has one now?

You might want to try any small non-dedicated flash in the camera hot-shoe if you want to use your former triggering scheme...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:22 AM   #4

i never use the 'anti red-eye' double flash with any of my cameras... so i don't know why the 9500 built-in flash will not sync with the studio unit

as i said...the 7000 set on Aperture Priority did not give the same long exposure i get with the 9500 in the relatively subdued lighting in my studio

it is as if the 7000 with its flash opened automatically sets the shutter to a high enough speed...whereas the 9500 doesn't

my Elinchrome studio flash unit was bought second-hand and there was no sync lead to use with the camera...therefore i use a flash on camera to slave it

here in Thailand...and well up-country...I have little access to spares or accessories for my Elinchrome
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:30 AM   #5
NHL

fabianfred wrote:
Quote:
i never use the 'anti red-eye' double flash with any of my cameras... so i don't know why the 9500 built-in flash will not sync with the studio unit
It has nothing to do with 'anti red-eye' - Most if not all digital cameras will pre-flash to measure the exposure initially before the main burst. You may mot see it because they are spaced very closely together to the untrained eyes (but it's there)!

The solution is to use any tiny external flash on the S9500 hot-shoe to trigger the Elinchrome :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:15 AM   #6

This might be a dumb question but I will ask anyways.

When you are using the external flash is it actually firing? What I mean is that I discovered that in the menu you have to activate the external flash setting otherwise things get all screwed up.

:|:evil:
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:09 AM   #7

yes...with the S9500 and set for Manual I can expose OK with the external flash unit triggering the main unit

it is just that...before the flash tube blew on the S7000 I used it s own pop-up flash to fire the slave... and did not need to set it to manual... I used it on Aperture priority so that I could adjust only the aperture to give me the exposure I required...it worked fine for nearly two years and did not give 'long' exposures...

why with the S9500 can it not work the same.....

as I said ...it is as if opening the pop-up flash overides the shutter on the 7000...but not on the 9500