Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:57 PM   #1

Hi, can anyone tell me if there's a speedlight flash that is fully compatible with both the Canon 20d and the Nikon d100? I've heard good things about the Nikon 80dx flash in regards to using it with Nikon bodies. I'd love a flash that I can grow into so-to-speak. And one that can also later be used with both the recent Mark II and the d2x in case I ever win a bundle of moolah so that I can upgrade my dSLR bodies. I'd appreciate any suggestions you all might have.

Thanks,
DLMST
DLMST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2
Administrator

The simple answer is NO. Each camera has its own dedicated TTL contacts and specific electronic circuitry to match the camera. Canon and Nikon are competitors so it is only right that their accessories be incompatible with other brands.

Ritz Camera sells a Quantaray brand flash that hasinterchangeable shoe modules that can be used on the same strobe body, theyhave both Nikon and Canon AF modules for it. Can't tell you anymore about it as I have never used one, sorry.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 3:29 AM   #3
E.T

Simple answer is yes.
Metz's MZ serie (SCA-models) flashes will fit to pretty much any camera by changing adapter.
Also brand specific flash controls work with them.
I have 54 MZ-4 and changing adapter was "10 second" work so it won't take much time to change it.

Required adapter for Canon 20D is SCA 3102 M3 and for Nikon D100 it's SCA 3402 M2.
(that number after M tells version of earliest firmware which supports camera)

SCA 3102 M3 works also with Mark II.
For Nikon D2 serie they don't yet have adapter. (/firmware)

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...blitz.138.html
(guide numbers are for meters so triple them if you use feets)

And for which cameras MZ-models can be fitted use this.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies! They were very informative. I'll go check out the links you provided ....

Cheers, DLMST
DLMST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:54 PM   #5
E.T

One thing you might want to remember is that from 54 MZ-4 there's two version, 54 MZ-4 and 54 MZ-4i (newer/current version?) which has some additional features for use with Nikon cameras. I think it might be that all current 54 MZ flashes are this MZ-4i version but you might want to check that.
I bought "standard" 54 MZ-4 which is flash with standard shoe (+SCA-adapter for Minolta separately) and flash was MZ-4i but it's impossible to say sure about other shops.

I don't know are you from US, apparently they don't sell Metz's flashes much there while here in Europe those are very easy to find.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote