Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 28, 2003, 9:12 AM   #1

Default Oly FL-40 Flash vs 3rd Party Flash vs Old Flash Kludge

I've been looking at flash units for my new Oly 4040z. It looks like I've got lots of options, among which are:

Buy the Oly FL-40. Hooks directly to the camera with a patch cord. Costs a lot of bucks. Gotta save up for a long time.

Buy a 3rd party. Looking at the Phoenix, which can be purchased as "dedicated" to my Oly. May be only available as a slave flash?

Buy some combination of adaptors, or isolators, or slave trigger, or whatever, to hook up an old Minolta flash from my 35mm camera.

I really would be interested in an external flash so that I could flash from a point somewhat removed from the camera lense, thereby reducing or eliminating redeye (theoretically). Therefore, I don't think I would want a slave flash setup.

Can anyone tell me what advantages there are to having a flash, such as the FL-40, which is hooked to the camera via a (TTL?) patch cord, vs some other way of triggering (like triggering an old unit via its PC connection? Does an external unit, mounted on a side mount, eliminate redeye? What is the value, other than shadow elimination of a slave flash?

Finally, some dealers are selling a version of the Phoenix D79-BZ as dedicated to the Oly 4040z. Does this hook up the same way as the FL-40, or is it only configurable as a slave?
robnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2

Default Re: Oly FL-40 Flash vs 3rd Party Flash vs Old Flash Kludge

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what advantages there are to having a flash, such as the FL-40, which is hooked to the camera via a (TTL?) patch cord, vs some other way of triggering (like triggering an old unit via its PC connection?
The FL-40 will provide dedicated TTL communication for the C-4040. That means the amount and intensity of the light output will vary depending on the shooting condition, it maybe possible to do flash exposure lock, flash exposure compensation--these are "advanced" features that are typically available only with dedicated, by-the-same-manufacturer flashes.

Quote:
Does an external unit, mounted on a side mount, eliminate redeye?
When you say "side mount," if you mean a flash frame (bracket), then yes, it'll go a long way towards reducing if not eliminating the redeye. The farther away the flash is from the camera (assuming the people in the picture are looking at you or the camera), the less risk of redeye you'll have.

Quote:
What is the value, other than shadow elimination of a slave flash?
Better illumination, being able to get rid of the harsh, head-on flattened look from the built-in or hot-shoe mounted flash that's pointed straight on.

For what it's worth, I almost always use bounce flash (whenever possible) rather than head-on, straight-at-the-subject flash.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 7:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the info!

Now, is it possible to buy a Flash for the Oly 4040Z that has TTL capabilities for less than what it costs for the FL-40 (Oly, $279 plus bracket cost)?

Would such a 3rd party solution offer the same capabiities as the Oly unit?
robnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 9:26 PM   #4

Yes, there are few different options available.

Check out the following website maintained by Jeremy McCreary:

http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/c-2...m#sync_options

It might be worth your while to read the entire article, rather than just jumping into the section that deals with external flash for the Olympus digital cameras.

By the way, I think the article mentionis C-3000 or 3020 or 3030, but the setup would work the same with whichever Olympus digital camera you have that has external flash sync port.

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote