Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:39 AM   #1

I would like to purchase a rechargeable battery pack for the Sunpak 383.

Any suggestions on what to buy?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:18 PM   #2

It takes 4 AA batteries. You can get NiMH batteries if you want to use rechargable batteries. However, I have found (maybe others can verify my experience or contradict it) that traditional alkaline batteries recycle much faster than the NiMH ones do on this unit (I'd guess they are twice as fast, and last noticeably longer than the per-charge time of the NiMH). You can buy a lot of alkaline batteries for the price of a set of 4 NiMH, and they just plain work better in this unit. I use NiMH in adigital camera that I have,so I'm not opposed to them in general. They just don't have the sameperformance in this case as disposable batteries.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:26 PM   #3

Is there not some sort of larger battery pack system that can be used for this flash?

I noticed that there was someone using a battery pack that they had on there belt and they were flashing away all night.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 3:22 PM   #4

I use the rechargable NiMh batteries and think they are great. Tes the initial purchase is higher but they last much longer ( recharge vice throw aways).

There is another type battery pack for the 383 but it is very expensive. More than I'm willing to lay-out. lol bhphotovideo.com has them.
cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 6:42 PM   #5

How many photos are you taking?

I've found the Sunpak 383 (I own one) is good for about 60-80 shots per 4 NIMH batteries.

If you use fill flash (1/8th or 1/16th power), instead of full flash, you'll get probably close to 120 shots per 4 batteries.

-- terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 1:18 PM   #6

I have a Quantum Turbo for my Nikon SB-800 and have yet to run out of power in a day of shooting. Of course it cost me around $500 if I remeber correctly. But at least now I'm not carrying around bags of AAs.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 3:10 PM   #7

Dboarder, does it have a bulit in Lithium battery, or do you have an external battery pack for it?

How does it get its' juice?

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 4:08 PM   #8

I'm not sure what the internal battery type is but you just plug it in the wall to charge it up. You have to buy a cable to connect it to your flash. The SB-800 has that capability whereas the SB-600 does not. I would suggest checking out the Quantum website at http://www.qtm.com/?res_set=yes&res=...0&resh=900and click on the Product Finder. It will let you put in you Flash make and model (camera also) and give you the specifics on which battery packs work and what cable to use. I looked up the Sunpack 383 and there are several units to choose from. Sunpack makes a similar product that I have seen advertised so you might what to check them out and compare features and price. Good luck.

I love my Quantum Turbo. It was pricey but it is so convenient when you are doing a lot of flash shooting. I do have a photo business, so at least I can write it off.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:26 AM   #9

Just got my Sunpak 383 Super flash unit, and according to the manual you can use
the Sunpak TR-IIa Battery Pack. I also got this Battery pack and works like a charm... recycle time between flashes is 1 second or less and you can take a number of shots with your flash unit (999+ i think).

The
price for the Sunpak TR-IIa Battery Pack is around $90.00 at BHPHOTOVIDEO.com.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52 969&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

bedde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:52 PM   #10

WOW - That is a great price. I'll have to check to see if it will work with an SB-800. I am planning to pick up another 1 or 2 for some creative lighting :|