Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:18 PM   #1

I haveacquired several older flash units and some accessories for them, among them are the Metz 45 CT-4 (built-in SCA 300) and 60 CT-2 (unsure if it has SCA 500 'module', whatever that does for the flash). These are probably late '80s - early '90s vintage. So far I've tested the 45's and they seem to work (but not hooked to a camera--yet) and I want to test the 60s. Ultimately I'd like to use them as photo-tripped slaves in a simple home studio, but I'd also like the option of using them directly with my new Canon EOS 20D. (I've purchased a 'SafeSync' so I can use an older Vivitar flash with the camera already.)

So far I've gotten a poor photocopy of the original manuals from Bogen Imaging (US) as well asthe British versions (not exactly the same). I've been able to piece together some info about the units, but am hoping someone here can help me decipher the Metz 'system' and figure out what I'll need to do what I want. Trying to get info from Metz and Bogen has been a little slow and frustrating.

First big question--can either of these flashes be used with my 20D if I use the Metz 'SCA 3102 M3' adapter and SCA 3000C cable, without my SafeSync? Their lit leads one to believe the newer versions (45 CL-4, 60 CT-1/4) can be.

Second, I have the 'generator' (external battery charger/holder) for the 60 series. The dryfit battery is shot, and new one$ co$t a lot of $$. I'm unable to test the 60 because of this. Is there a pinout/schematic for the power connector cable that shows which conductors are + and - ? I can always hook up an external power source, which leads to...

...Question 3: a "mains" adaptor isan optional accessory for the 60 (it's an N20, I believe). Does anyone know if its output is > 6 volts DC, and which conductors it hooks to in the power cable (there are three conductors)?

Question 4: If I could find and buy the external photosensors for the exposure reading that mount in the camera's hot shoe, will they also allow hot shoe flash triggering, and are they usable with the 20D?

Question 5: The flash sync cables I possess came from the flashes being used with manual Nikons and an F3. The flash end of the sync cable plug has many possible conductors. Does anyone know which ones are for what purpose?

Lots of questions for a first time poster, I know, but I'm hoping the more experienced posters here can help. Many thanks!

Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:33 PM   #2
NHL

Harbinger wrote:
Quote:
First big question--can either of these flashes be used with my 20D if I use the Metz 'SCA 3102 M3' adapter and SCA 3000C cable, without my SafeSync? Their lit leads one to believe the newer versions (45 CL-4, 60 CT-1/4) can be.
A 'qualified' YES - The CT series will not be E-TTL compatible so you'll have to use them in the Auto mode. i.e. put the camera on manual and expose according to the settings of the aperture you have set on the flash

Quote:
Second, I have the 'generator' (external battery charger/holder) for the 60 series. The dryfit battery is shot, and new one$ co$t a lot of $$. I'm unable to test the 60 because of this. Is there a pinout/schematic for the power connector cable that shows which conductors are + and - ? I can always hook up an external power source, which leads to...
You can convert them to NiMh - The best is to buy a regular AA insert and use this to power with the NiMh batteries

Quote:
Question 4: If I could find and buy the external photosensors for the exposure reading that mount in the camera's hot shoe, will they also allow hot shoe flash triggering, and are they usable with the 20D?
Again a 'qualified' YES - i.e. only in Auto and not E-TTL

Quote:
Question 5: The flash sync cables I possess came from the flashes being used with manual Nikons and an F3. The flash end of the sync cable plug has many possible conductors. Does anyone know which ones are for what purpose?
Why not use a 'regular' sync cord off to the side? ~ less than $12 used

BTW I have an older Metz 45 CT-5 (with digital readout) which works fine...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:35 AM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can convert them to NiMh - The best is to buy a regular AA insert and use this to power with the NiMh batteries

BTW I have an older Metz 45 CT-5 (with digital readout) which works fine...

NHL--

Thanks for the reply. I know the 45 series takes a pack in the handle that can be converted to AA--is that what you're thinking of? The 60 doesn't have internal batteries, only the external 'generator' that charges and holds the battery pack, and I don't believe there is an AA-type insert for it.

What I'd really like is technical info on what the output of the 'mains' adapter is (voltage/amperage) and which conductors on that odd three-conductor cord are used. Rather than try to buy an original adapter I'd like to craft my own.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote