Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:35 PM   #1

I recently purchased a slightly used c-5000 on ebay for $150. I wanted the 7070/8080 but a tight budget kept that out of reach.

Anyway, I have found that once you truly get to know this camera...this maybe the best kept secret in camera buys today. I can't think of another 5mp camera with as many fine tuning adjustments AND a hot shoeAND a remote AND takes various add-on lens/filters in it's price range! (I still have a 3040, too)

It's not without it's shortcomings...drops to f4.8 in full telephoto, and although I rarely use the full auto itsets the iso to 160 in low light....i prefer the 50 or 80isosettings as the 160 can be a bit too grainy/choppy...I also suggest that you drop the default settings of contrast and sharpness tominus1...and then there is the internal flash although better than some isn't the greatest at 50 in a low lit room...that being said...

I applaud Olympus for the hot shoe....the reason I would thinkmost peopleincluding myself would buy this camera....I am currently using an fL-20...which allows me to get those great wide angle shots with a decent flash at iso 50 and I can also use the Olympus wcon-08 wide angle converter (again, from ebay for about $38)mounted with a sony 37mm tube and a generic 37-55mm adapter ring....I get an addition 20% in all directions bringing the wide angle to a nice 30mm (with no fisheye type of bending)!

I keep wondering if the overall focus would improve in lower lightusing this camera with the AF beam on the FL-36 and FL-40? Obviously, the c-5000 does not offer this feature. And can both of those lights be used in the Program -Aperture preffered mode? Is the AF light auto only or can this feature be disabled if I should desire? It seems that the FL-40 can be had for cheaper as it is older and the only difference for my sake is the bulkier size. I should also say that I know little about external flash photography except to turn it on auto and manual and enjoy!

thanks for any advice out there.

gregg
Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:16 AM   #2

I do not own the C-5000, but I do use a FL-40 flash with my Oly E-300 and it works quite well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:32 PM   #3

I have heard various stories as to the workings of the AF beam on the FL-40 (some good, some not). My camera has no AF beam. Can you tell me does it stay on while the camera is locking focus? And what does it look like, an orange or red grid or just a dot? can it be turned on in slightly better lighting or does it only come on automatically in very dim light? Can the AF illuminator be disabled?

The AF Beam (along with the zooming ability) are the twoonly reasons why I would upgrade over the fL-20

thanks

gregg

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote