Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:26 AM   #1

Greetings everyone!

I'll be short and sweet. I was shooting an informal wedding when my Canon 420EX started behaving oddly. It wasn't firing as it should, took very long to recycle and now EVERY shot I take with it (regardless of settings) comes out under exposed

My on board lash works fine. Any idea what could be causing this? I've had the 420 since back in my G2 days. Is there a way to see if it's the flash and HOPEFULLY not my 20D? I also tried replacing the batteries -- and nothing.

Unfortunately, I don't have another flash I can try. Maybe I'll go to the local camera shop and place one on and PRAY it's not my camera. :-(

Please don't mind the mess .. O/T work brought home. :-(

420EX attached FULL Auto mode

ON board flash, same settings -- full auto:

Regards,

Dave

DOrtiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:33 AM   #2

Thanks to everyone for your valued assistance. If I discover what the problem is, I'll be happy to share it with the rest of the community.

Regards
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:38 PM   #3

Once again, I want to thank EVERYONE for their valued feedback and eagerness to assist.

It seems my 420EX may have called it quits -- or something ODD is wrong with it and/or my 20D -- you be the judge as your eyes may see things mine can't.

Today I shot a few with my 420EX at the office and it appeared to be working, but then again I had plenty of ambient lighting. After work I took a trip to a local Ritz store. I know the managerso he let me try on the Canon 580EX for size and fire a few rounds (all shots in P mode).

To test, I fired two with my Canon 420EX and it seemed to work (that is it fired at least). The flash seemed weak, and the histogram was leaning toward the left (all shots at ISO200). Here are the two I fired with the 420EX:

Check your exif and you'll see the flash FIRED, yet I don't see any light coming fromanywhere .. it's as though I'm capturing ambient lightning only. Do you agree?

Now the following I shot with the Canon 580EX:

At least here you can see some kind of LIFE (white light, reflection etc..) indicating the flash appears to be working. I see shadows on the book shelves castby the flash, and although not the best exposure it seemed to be functioning.

One should also know my 420EX flash-head is now zoomingsporadically as I zoom in or out with my lens. Additionally, when it's recycling it soundsas if it's shorting-out inside. If it's decided to be put to sleep .. can anyone tell me why these things die, and if there's a way to fix it yourself.

I'd hate to dump it because I even tried it as a slave to the 580EX and it fired with it.

Needless to say, the Canon 580EX is en route!

Regards,

Dave

[align=center][/align]
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:55 AM   #4

I wish I could help but know Little of this flash, actually Im thinking of buying one and need advise on weather to get this one new or a second hand 380ex:roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:02 AM   #5

Turns out the 420EX is the culprit. It was tested on another body, and did the same thing. Then a 430EX was placed on my 20D andfired perfectly.

Needless to say, the 580EX is en route!

Regards,

Dave

[align=center][/align]