Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:32 PM   #1

I would like to find and external flash for my Fuji. It does have a shoe on top, but I have been warned about burning out my camera with a flash that is too strong. I have read about the slave flashes and am not sure that is the way for me to go. It would be nice if I could just slide in a flash and get some good indoor/low-light pictures. Vivitar 283 and 285 seem to keep coming up in the forums. Would that work? Also there as been mention of somthing called a bracket??? Do I need one of these??? I live in a small town, so I would have to buy it from the internet. Any good places to shop would also help. Thank you!:-D

Futbol mom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 4:32 PM   #2

Fuji say their cameras are good up too 400 volts from flash. Take that with a pinch of salt. The new Vivitarsmade in the east are supposed too be OK with trigger voltage as is the old 285 , but stay well away from the old 283. unless you like fried chips. A bracket is just a means of mounting your camera on and any ancillary equipment on.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:08 PM   #3

futbolmom-

Have you tried that Bower slave flash unit with you Fuji S-602?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:56 PM   #4

Hey MT. I just got an e-mail this morning from the people I purchased it through on e-bay. They had a fire at their facility and won't be able to ship for another three weeks. I had them issue me a credit, andordered another one from different company...whew! I hope to have it soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

FBmom
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:31 PM   #5

futbolmom-

As I have said previously, the Bower slave will work very nicely with your Fuji S-602. I hope that you get a chance to try some photos with it.

MT
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:10 PM   #6

I just got my slave flash in the mail today and so far so good. I have taken a few pictures in the house, but the real test will be at my sons basketball game on Sat. I do have a question though. For my Fuji, Ididn't use the bracket thatcame with the flash, I just attached it to the shoe on top. I turned thelittle gizmo on for external flash (not sure if I needed to do that or not), set the camera to auto,and it fired. The picture was good, but didn't look any different than the picture I took with thebuilt in flash (I also took a picture with the built in flash off just to compare, and used the slave,the picture was no different)...Now, for my Canon, I used the bracket since it doesn't have a shoe, set the camera to auto took the picture (same spot) and WOW :shock:was it bright!You can definitely tellin the picture that another flash was used!! Why was it brighter on the Canon than the Fuji? The directions that come with the flash are very vague. I may need some step by step instructions if anyone has the patience (slow learner). Any thoughts...comments...?:? I have to say, I'm kind of hopeful that I will start liking my cameraand enjoy taking pictures again. Thanks!

FBmom

Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:05 AM   #7

Yes you do have to select the Ext flash for the camera too talk to the hotshoe.By fitting the flash too the hotshoe you prevented the internal flash from popping up. You do not say the model of your Canon, but if the slave flash ignores any preflash from the Canon you have 2 flash`s combined to give you the bright shot.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:10 PM   #8

futbolmom-

I think the difference in the result might be one of two things.

*the hot shoe on the S602 may be the problem. Try a photo using the accessory flash bracket with the S-602, and compare the results.

*the S-602 may indeed handle "Auto ISO" differently than the other camera. Is it the Canon S-2?

MT
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:24 PM   #9

Well MT the Canon use to be an A520, until my daughter dropped it on the tile and smashed it to smithereens the night before last...it was less than a month old...yes, I'm still crying. But, on a good note I got to use my slave flash today and it was WONDERFUL!! I like my camera again:love:. I have some of the best pictures of my son playing basketball. I now need to work on my timing, but that won't cost me any money. I can't thank you enough for all your help and direction. I still would like to get another camera with a few more MP, but for now my Fuji is resurrected. Thanks again!

FBmom :|
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:29 PM   #10

futbolmom-

Thanks for sticking with me through the entire process. In that process we were able to give the Fuji S-602 a whole new life. I am glad it all worked out for you.

MT