Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:43 AM   #1

Probably a dumb question, I have a Canon Speedlite 420EX on the way in the post and I was just wondering if it is possible to shoot in auto mode and do i just put the flash on the camera turn it on, set camera (300D)to auto and shoot away. I don't do a lot of flash photography and would like to practice on auto setting to start with, I need the easiest possible method for a start :-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:12 PM   #2
NHL

Yeap - pretty much it... On/OFF (and FP sync mode) - Not much else to control anyway...
The problem is only when you want more creative control which is where this flash becomes deficient :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:00 PM   #3

another dumb question, what is FP sync mode?
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:32 PM   #4

Your camera's fastest shutter speed with flash is 1/200th, due to the way a focal plane shutter works. The 420EX has a setting for Hi Speed sync in order to work at higher shutter speeds. In order to sync at higher speeds, the flash duration must be longer--yes, longer--so that it is on for the duration of the shutter "slit" moving across the frame. For this reason, the light output is reduced.

Another thing. Your 300D does not have Flash Exposure Compensation built in and neither does the 420EX, and this can be a problem. For normal use the 300D exposes better with a + 1/3 to +2/3 FEC. To get that functionality, you'll need the "Russian" firmware (do a Google search on Wasia, firmware) upgrade to your camera. That firmware adds FEC, ISO3200, Mirror Lockup, and other features that were locked out by Canon. The FEC as implemented in the Wasia firmware is much more convenient than it is on a 10D, 20D or 350D and also more convenient than FEC on a 580EX flash, too.

I have both a 420EX and a 580EX. My wife uses the latter most of the time, and that's OK with me. The 580 has so many menu options and settings that are not obvious when you turn it on, that I really prefer the 420EX for its simplicity. As NHL said, On-Off and Sync mode are the only settings. A Lumiquest softbox (the big one) helps with harsh shadows. I recommend it.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:49 PM   #5

Thanks, I doubt that I would need fast shutter speeds with flash, most of my photography is outdoors, wildlife sports etc. I purchased the flash for the few times I take indoor photos of kids etc so that I could have a little more control over bouncing the flash as I have blue eyed blond grandchildren who seem to attract red eye, hoping this flash can help there.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:59 AM   #6
NHL

aladyforty

Actually you might need the High-Speed sync mode more outdoor than you think (to control DOF with fast lens) for portrait of your grandchildren!

FYI - http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...k_synchfp.html

IMO wburychka is also correct in getting the firmware hack: one of the feature I can't live without either is the rear curtain sync which is not present on the 420EX... (unless your camera has it already)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:41 PM   #7

I was under the impression this flash was suitable for my 300d, now Ive paid for it and Im wndering if I did the right thing, it should arrive soon.