Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:38 PM   #1

I am getting a used Dimage 7i in an attempt to expand the quality and scope of my photography. In order of importance to me, here's what I will be shooting:
An adorable 8 month old girl, indoors and outdoors
An adorable 33 year old girl, mildly racy to compromising shots indoors
Diorama-type shots of highly detailed 1/32 scale model race cars & track
Inventory of belongings for insurance/estate purposes
Anything that captures my interest on a day to day basis

Easy, right? I'm overwhelmed by the confusion selecting a flash for this camera has created for me. It seems like an AF illuminator would be a good thing, but the KM recommended units (3600HS/5600HS) don't have this feature. Usually I can comb eBay listings and Google searches for a few days and come to an acceptable conclusion about a purchase, but I am stymied on this one.

If anyone could make a suggestion or two; or give me a pearl that would help me understand what I'm looking for it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Snellcomp
Denver, CO
:? :? :? :? :?
Attached Images

Snellcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 2:09 PM   #2
NHL

I don't believe you need an AF illuminator...

These camera focuses well in the dark by themselves and the 3600HS/5600HS are the only units compatible anyway if you need the TTL automatic mode.

If you are willing to use the manual mode then any # of flashes will work - pretty simple really if the flash have an automatic 'Eye' mode on it :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:32 PM   #3

Thank you sir, your images are awesome! So, any flash that can trigger from the built-in on mine, then learn how to use the myriad of adjustments... Do you still use a 7i much?

Thanks
Snellcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 3:12 PM   #4
E.T

NHL wrote:
Quote:
These camera focuses well in the dark by themselves and the 3600HS/5600HS are the only units compatible anyway if you need the TTL automatic mode.
Not really, Metz has flashes which support all features of Minolta hot shoe plus wireless.
And best of all is that by just changing adapter these flashes can be fitted to pretty much any camera with their proprietary shoes+special functions or to standard shoe.

I myself have this for KM A2
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron..._MZ-4.171.html
Minolta's own flash would have cost same, as plus this has second reflector but not needing to buy new flash for next camera is huge plus. (flashes don't really get obsolete so fast)

Those MZ-models are the ones which use this adapter system.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:25 PM   #5
NHL

Actually I'm aware that the Metz are compatible: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

... However I don't believe they can control slave flashes unless theses happen to be Metz as well. Metz unit are RF while the Minolta are flash based for example the 5600 can control other 5600's or 3600's

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote