Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:43 PM   #1

The price of the 580EX and the Metz 54 MZ4 are about the same, so $$$ is not the issue. I see an advantage of the 580EX is that is should be 100% compatible with 20D. The Metz with the proper SCA shoe should be compatible (?) and the Metz offers a both a MAIN and FILL flash on one unit; and has an on-flash auto mode.

My question: Does anyone have experience withthese flashunits and recommend one over the other? I've done many searches here and elsewhere, and neither one is a clear winner. I've seen complaints about both units.

Thanks,

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:39 PM   #2
NHL

Do you need the wireless mode?

I've been a Metz fan for a while and have a few dual-head such as the 45 series; However if you're into multiple master/slave(s) wireless mode there's only Canon and Sigma (EF-500DG Super) which are 100% compatible... The Metz system is RF based instead!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:48 PM   #3

I don't think I'll need the wireless mode. I have an old Vivitar 285 with a Wein adaptor to protect from spikes and could use that as a remote triggered optically by the main flash.

However, since the Metz is Rf not IR, it should be a more reliable wireless set-up if I needed that in the future.

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:53 PM   #4
NHL

bob_ledyard wrote:
Quote:
I don't think I'll need the wireless mode. I have an old Vivitar 285 with a Wein adaptor to protect from spikes and could use that as a remote triggered optically by the main flash.
It does not work like that: http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...ork_ssfil.html
FYI - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

-> Ditto with the Metz, i.e. they only sync among themselves (Metz units only in E-TTL) and are not compatible with an off-the-shelf RF radio slaves (except on manual)!

Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:11 PM   #5

I use the 580 flash on a 20D at the Studio where I work covering High school sports. It is extremely fast and can be synched with the camera at shutter speeds above 200. We get very good results on soccer fields,football fiels and in gymnasiums. I am purchasing a 20D in Feb. and after the lenses it will be the first thing I buy. I have been very impressed with its performance.

Hope this helps!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:29 PM   #6
NHL

Trique Daddi wrote:
Quote:
I use the 580 flash on a 20D at the Studio where I work covering High school sports. It is extremely fast and can be synched with the camera at shutter speeds above 200.
You have to be careful with this feature (with any flash including Sigma/Metz) - above 1/200 (on a 20D) you're getting nowhere near the distance of a soccer/football field! :-)

Its meant for short distance only, and not for actions: http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...k_synchfp.html
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:58 PM   #7
Administrator

If I were you, I'd go with the Metz 54MZ4 if the price is about the same. It's got an Auto feature that uses it's own sensor to measure reflected light during the exposure (just like the older Auto Thyristor flashes).

The difference is that it's still aware of the camera settings (aperture, ISO speed) with the correct dedicated foot, so that you don't have to change the flash to match the camera when changing your aperture or ISO speed using it's auto mode. It will also work E-TTL if you'd rather let the camera control it's behavior (taking focus distance, metering, etc., into consideration).

This 54MZ series is popular with some Konica Minolta 7D owners, since it eliminates the preflash you get using the standard TTL or ADI flash modes, if you use the Metz Auto Mode. A preflash is a sore point with some owners (since a small percentage of the population will always blink in some conditions when they see it, even though it's virtually imperceptible to most subjects).

You could also buy a different foot later if you changed cameras systems, versus needing to buy a new flash system.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:00 AM   #8
NHL

I tend to agree with JimC and that's why I started the reply with "Do you need the wireless mode?"

For the stand-alone mode, Metz units are probably the best there is especially in Auto - but then you can also get used 45 or 60 series Metz (a workhorse for most wedding photographers) for a steal when you use the camera on manual with the flash on Auto.

However IMO theses cameras have a very powerful wireless mode which most folks seems to ignore (with ratio control, flash exposure compensation, and modeling lights), all automatically through the lens. To do this multiple flash heads are required, and the Sigma's seems to be the cheapest way to get there... (you can probably get two Sigma's for the same cost and achieve the same thing with a combined higher outputL)
i.e. the more heads you need the more you save ! :idea:
KM came out first with this system - http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm

--> One can do all this manually of course, but it's much easier and quicker through the camera's
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:35 AM   #9

Quote:
I use the 580 flash on a 20D at the Studio where I work covering High school sports. It is extremely fast and can be synched with the camera at shutter speeds above 200

True. I didn't mean to indicate that it would cover that far. For sports like soccer and football we usually shoot at 200 shutter speed and it is plenty to freeze the action. Of course the level of stadium lighting plays a roll but I did have an interception from a football game occur on the far side of the field (width wise) and the photo turned out well. Part of that is due to the the quality being good enough to further zoom in a photo editor.The 580 does have enough reach to make basketball pictures at the end of the court useable also (of course depending on the lens). It has excellant range. As a general rule of our purposes about 2/3rds of the width of a football or soccer field.

Thanks for the link NHL it was informative.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote