Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a Minolta 5600HS external Flash and so far it's great. Thing I noticed on it is that it has a PC Link port. Can I use this flash on the camera with a PC link cable from the flash to an external Studio flash and trigger it?

The Minolta 5D has no PC socket on it, so I'm hoping that I can use the 5600's PC socket instead of buying a dedicated and expensive hot-shoe socket, the PC-100.

Anyone know if this would work fine?

Thanks in advance
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't have a 5600, and I don't know if it's a standard port. Judging from the manual, it looks like you could probably trigger another 5600 with it though (even though it's primary use is to trigger the flash itself).

Perhaps someone that knows more about the 5600 will respond.

But, even it would be able to trigger strobes, you'd need to be careful (or you may end up frying the flash and/or camera). The hotshoe on the 5D is probably rated for a trigger voltage of 6 volts (and some strobes have MUCH higher trigger voltages).

Since you've already got a 5600, you may want to consider using slave triggers for studio strobes. But, I'd make sure to get some that are "Digital Ready" unless you use 5600 in manual mode (the 5D and 7D use a preflash to help gauge exposure, so you'll need to use slave triggers that are designed to ignore it). Wein makes some "digital" slave triggers.

The PCT-100 has voltage protection built in, allowing the use of strobes with trigger voltages up to 400 volts. That's probably why KM charges so much for 'em.

If your strobes have a low trigger voltage (and I'd make sure to measure them with a voltmeter), then you can get an inexpensive 3rd party adapter without voltage protection built in. AFAIK, KM has never published the trigger voltage limits for the 5D hotshoe (it's most likely rated at around 6 volts).

I recently got one if these myself for use with my 5D (but again, there is no built in voltage protection like you'd get with a PCT-100).

http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...25169818/small

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:11 PM   #3
NHL

Adambrae wrote:
Quote:
Can I use this flash on the camera with a PC link cable from the flash to an external Studio flash and trigger it?
Are you talking about the threaded round socket with the 4 terminals inside?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:34 AM   #4

Yes, that's the one. Is that a PC socket for connecting other flash?

Also, whilst we're talking 5600 here, when I use a speed higher than 1/125 to compensate for the subject blinking, the performance is poor. Anyway to take pics with this type of flash and have a good rendition without getting pics with their eyes closed?
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:58 AM   #5

I think that has to do with the preflash used on digital cameras, some people are quick! Make sure your not using rear-sync, which makes the delay longer.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:58 PM   #6
NHL

Adambrae wrote:
Quote:
Yes, that's the one. Is that a PC socket for connecting other flash?
Those pins are connected directly to the 4 pins at bottom of the flash... :idea:

-> as you can tell this is not an ISO hot-shoe - you can buy an off-camera cable to convert to a PC sync cable, but the better way is to use any old Minolta flash on manual as an optical trigger. I have an older 5400HS as well which do not pre-flash

BTW I don't know how it is with the D5, but on the Minolta Dimage series you can set the built-in slave to not pre-flash at reduce power (1/4 or 1/16 power) to trigger optical slave on manual!

FYI - "Studio Flash after the upgrade is also less of a challenge since the built-in flash can now be set manually to 1/4 or 1/16 power to trigger a slave, and it won't pre-flash either"
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...e7_firmup.html
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:16 PM   #7
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
BTW I don't know how it is with the D5, but on the Minolta Dimage series you can set the built-in slave to not pre-flash at reduce power (1/4 or 1/16 power) to trigger optical slave on manual!
They left manual settings out of the 5D menus for controlling the built in flash. You've got a choice between Fill-flash, Red eye, Rear sync. and Wireless for flash modes.

Flash control options are ADI Flash or Pre-flash TTL (both give you a pre-flash with the 5D).

Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:40 PM   #8
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
They left manual settings out of the 5D menus for controlling the built in flash.
They originally left it out from the Dimage 7 too - > the 'firmware' update put that feature in the 2nd time around (about the same time they released the PCT-100)

You can do this with the KM 7D with no pre-flash though @ 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 power to control studio strobes
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:54 PM   #9
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
You can do this with the KM 7D with no pre-flash though @ 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 power to control studio strobes
I was aware of some of the 7D advantages when I got the 5D. But, it's no big deal to me. I was planning on using a non-KM flash system anyway (no matter which KM DSLR I went with).

I ended up with a 5D, and I've spent a total of $48.00 so far on a flash system for it:

An (adapter to give it an ISO standard hot shoe and PC Sync Port (no voltage protection) for $16.00, a Sunpak 222 Auto for $7.00 from KEH (including a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord), and a like new in box Sunpak 333 Auto in 10 condition from B&H for $25.00 (and you get find them used for under $10.00 on Ebay if you're a careful shopper).

I haven't splurged on a more powerful flash yet. But, who knows, perhaps I'll decide to go with a nice unit at some point and spend as much as $75.00 or $100.00. I've seen some bargains around on the Metz 45CL1 from time to time. ;-)

I was originally considering the Metz 54MZ3 or 4 as a primary flash (since it's Auto mode is aware of your aperture and ISO speed settings on the camera). However, I really don't need it's capabilities (but, I understand if some others do, and HSS would be nice for fill outdoors in brighter light with wider apertures).

Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:40 AM   #10

I saw this by searching on the net,may be usefull to someone:

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/fs1100_flash_isolator
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote