Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:11 PM   #1

I tried an old flash that only worked on the camera's manual mode on my c-3040...on my recent purchase of a c-5000 I had been using an fl-20....I just tried the vivitar flash...it works in all camera modes from full auto to manual...

I really need a manual.....does anyone know where I can pick one up?

so many questions...

what is the difference between the triangle and manual setting?

what does the sliding of the flash forward and back do to the intensity if anything?

do any of the settings allow for this flash to self adjust when I am close up and then pull back? My Fl-20 doesn't and if I go from across a room to close up, everyone looks like a ghost if I don't change to a higher f-stop (yes, I believe the fl-40 would solve that problem)

what improvements if any, will this flash offer over my fl-20 besides the bounce feature

Forgive my wording above...I know very little about external flashes except slide on the hot shoe and enjoy!

thanks

gregg

Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:30 AM   #2

Hi

The ttiangle is an Autowinder setting reducing the power to 1/8 thus shortening the the recycling time to .5 second. This then allows the flash to sync with 2 frames per secnd autowinders. Red and blue are two exposure modes The sliding of head are zooms W N T you should have a front panel for extra wide angle.The max GN is 94 in feet for 100 asa Not a very powerful gun tho`
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:47 AM   #3

thanks geriatric!

but I am going to have to get some books on flash photography as I am not sure I undestand allthose guide numbers

I tried the vivitar flash bouncing it off the ceiling in manual mode...it flooded a living room about 200 squ feet....far better than the wimpy internal flash on the c-5000 (unfortunately most internal flashes on lower priced cameras are week)...this is why I bought this model...it'sone of the very very few for that price that has a hot shoe

the upgrade would give me zoom, af beam, and a far brighter flash than my fl-20...I am told

I was quite surprised when I tried my vivitar flash that it worked in all camera modes on my c-5000....on my older c-3040 third party flashes will only fire in the camera's full manual mode

I'm wondering if their are third party flashes with zoom ability, AF beam and a low enough voltage that are a cheaper alternative to upgrading from my fl-20 to olympus' fl-40 (it goes on ebay for about 150-200)????

thanks again

gregg
Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote