Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:14 PM   #1

I have recently purchased the Minolta 5600 HS D flash for my minolta maxxum 7D camera, and i am having issues when i take a picture on program mode with the external flash unit on, my pictures are under exposed.Is there a setting on the camera that i need to select ? Can i shut off the built in flash through my options on my camera.Please help out if you can..... i am beating my head to the ground on this one.

Thanks in advance

Anthony!
koryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:45 PM   #2

I'm curious what others say about this, I just got a Sigma EF-500 DG Super (as in, super long name) and many of my shots are underexposed so far.

I've been setting the flash to +2ev on my 5D, but it dosent seem to make a difference most times. Other times, everything works perfect... still learning....

Your built in flash is down when the 5600 is on, right? When used wirelessly the built in flash dosent add (much) light to the exposure, but is used to send a coded signal to the external flash.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:18 PM   #3

Well i am asuming that the built in flash turns off when the external flash is on!!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:30 PM   #4
Administrator

Send the flash back to KM for calibration ASAP (in case the service gets backed up during the changeover to Sony).

KM can calibrate it for you to make it better. The default curve isn't quite right for Digital with some of these units.

Link to Flash Calibration Issue

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:35 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

Sigma might be able to get the EF-500 DG Super working better, too. Someone on another forum posted that they managed to get Sigma to calibrate one for them (he said it took 3 trips to their service center, but they finally got it working OK). So, perhaps they know how to get them working right with KM DSLR models now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the info very much appreciated i will look into this issue
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:52 PM   #7

koryu wrote:
Quote:
Well i am asuming that the built in flash turns off when the external flash is on!!
! ?
On my 5D with the sigma flash, its physically impossible to raise the built in flash.

Do you have any other info about this? I'm still new to DSLR's and this is my first flash adventure.... I don't doubt its all me. I just fired off another fifty test shots, generally I needed +1 to +2 exposure compensation to get it right though a few came out fine with no compensation. I didnt use flash compensation this time, but in the menu exposure comp is set to Ambient & Flash. I'd like to ensure its not user error before chasing after sigma, user error is the most common problem!

PS, forgot that I'm using bounce flash off my ceiling. When I use the flash off camera and bounced, the problem is almost gone. In fact, I get overexposed frames more often than not by about 2/3 - 1 stop.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:25 PM   #8

Ok here is the scoop i tried +1 and it is alot better flash compensation thanks for the tip