Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 14, 2006, 2:46 PM   #1

Hi all
What flash is suitable for nikon 8400 except nikons one?
Thanks
emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:55 PM   #2

A great deal depends on what you want to do with the externalflash on your Nikon 8400??

Can you provide a few more details please? I am also a Nikon 8400 camera owner who uses external flash very sucessfully.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:55 PM   #3

Hi
Thanks for reply. I am thinking about sb-600 but is there any less expensive model? Is i-TTL really good or I can use any other flash with standard TTL system? Actually i am looking for any external flash for general purpose, just stronger then in body one, and to preserve battery.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:09 PM   #4

Both the sb-600 and sb-800 are excellent flashes. However, they are both quite expensive and complicated. You might be able to get by with a slave flash for less than $50.00.

If the flash range that you desire is 21 feet or less, even at full wide angle on the 8400, a slave flash can easily do the job. I have attached a photo of a slave flash easily available on ebay, selling forbetween $30 to $50. My attached photo shows the Bower slave falsh, it sells for less than $50. The Sunpak DS-20 sells for around $30 and it can also do the job.

Please tell us a bit more about the flash range that you desire?

MT

Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:32 AM   #5

Hi
I have considered slave flashes as well, so you help me again. I thing this is good idea to start with slave flash and see how is it going. BTW flash from picture has got hot shoe, does it mean it has to stay on camera or can be stay somewhere else?
Tks
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:17 AM   #6

emes-

A slave flash does not have to stay on the camera at all. I have found that the photo quality actually increases by getting the slave away from the camera. Just be sure that the flash is positioned so that the 8400's flash can trigger the slave flash.

MT
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:57 AM   #7

Hi
I found several suitable slave flashes, but I still would like to find one standard TTL flash. I have seen Sunpak 144D. I am worry about wideness of lens (24mm), some flashes don't cover such field. If you have any coments about that,please write.
Thanks again.

Old May 20, 2006, 6:33 AM   #8

I've read information here about purchasing a slave flash or a Nikon flash attachment for my 8400 camera. I assumed that the Nikon flash attachment would be the best. The slave flash attachment is new to me? I'm a Realtor and take a lot of inside shots of dark rooms. I've found that by using my white balance option on the 8400 sometimes just doesn't work and I need a flash. I have the Nikon wide angle lens attached to my camera. So, when I go back to manual setting and use the flash, I have a half-circle of dark area at the bottom of my shot, because the top of the wide angle lens gets in the way of the flash. I usually enhance my photos with Photoshop Elements 4.0 but it's hard getting that dark out!!

I was going to purchase the Nikon flash attachment. Should I? Or should I get one of these slave flash attachments you've talked about here. Not concerned about the price. Would want something that would be good for 10 foot rooms as well as 20 foot rooms with 20 foot ceilings. Hopefully a flash that would show the least amount of shadows around furniture.

Anxiously awaiting an answer. Wanted to buy something this weekend but I'll wait for the expert help.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote