Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:36 AM   #1

anyone...
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:51 AM   #2
Administrator

I have seen someone report that the F828 uses a 03P4J-T1 SCR for triggering a shoe flash according to the service manual. The poster indicated that this SCR should be able to accomodate flashes with trigger voltages up to 400 volts based on it's specs.

But, I have no way to verify the accuracy of the information, and I've read that Sony has not published the trigger voltage limits for this camera.

So, use third party strobes at your own risk (or use voltage protection like some of the Wein Safe Sync products).

Most newer strobes have trigger voltages of around 7 volts or less (and it's a good idea to measure them yourself, since older strobes with high trigger voltages may damage some cameras without the use of voltage protection).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3

Thanks Jim....I know there is more to follow right?

Someone has to know!! :
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:03 AM   #4

I`ve got a pic on my home PC showing how to check trigger voltage with a simple voltmeter. I`ll post it here tonight when I get home.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:27 AM   #5
Administrator

You can't check the trigger voltage limits for the hotshoe (which is what I think the OP wants to know).

You can only check the trigger voltage for a specific flash. The Sony strobes probably have relatively low trigger voltages.

The question people want to know is if using strobes with higher trigger voltages can damage the camera.

It's my understanding that Sony has not published trigger voltage limits for their hotshoe.

The closest I've found to reliable information is somene examing the schematics in a service manual, noting the type of SCR used in the camera (which should be capable of handling strobes with trigger voltages up to 400 volts, if the poster's information is accurate). But, I have no way to verify it's accuracy.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:33 PM   #6

Oops, I did read that question incorrectly.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote