Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:50 AM   #1

I have a Canon 420EX flash and I just bought the Panasonic FZ30.┬* The FZ30 says it needs a flash with an ISO of 10330.┬* I'm not too sure what that means.┬* Does anyone know with this flash is compatible with this camera?┬* Your┬* help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
the_countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:08 AM   #2

I have a Panasonic FZ20 and it has the same rating which means flash trigger voltage should not exceed 24 volts, or damge to the camera might occur. I have a picture showing how to check flash trigger voltage with a simple voltmeter on my home PC. I`ll post the pic here tonight when I get home.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:44 PM   #3

Here ya go. Charge up the flash unit so that it`s ready to strobe. Then set your meter and meter leads as shown. The reading on the meter is the flash trigger voltage. This one of my old flash units, and as you can see, it exceeds the 24 volt limit.
Attached Images

John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:37 PM   #4
E.T

the_countryboy wrote:
Quote:
The FZ30 says it needs a flash with an ISO of 10330.
ISO10330 is standard specifying flash trigger voltages and such.
Unless otherwise stated ISO means International Organization for Standardization and number after that logically tells number of standard.

Here's what I found about that standard:
...so called low voltage trigger' according to ISO 10330 allowing trigger voltages of 3.5 to 24volts.

Here's big table of trigger voltages of different flashes:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:41 PM   #5

Be careful when you check out that table of voltages. For instance, John H's Vivitar 283 shows a trigger voltage of 108. I have an older model 283 that is over 250 volts. Apparently, some of the (relatively) newer 283's have much lower voltages that are compatable with the newer digital cameras. There is, at least in the case of the Vivitar 283, a huge range of trigger voltages, depending on where and when the flash was made. I don't know if that is the case with other flashes, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is true. I think the safest thing to do is to measure the voltage of your particular flash to see if it is safe.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote