Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:29 PM   #1

I'm looking for a good flash but i dont have alot of money to spend on one so i was wondering which one of these is the best for the money.

Also, if there is another flash out there that is better for around the same prices of these could you let me know.

Thank you
stang1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:21 PM   #2

A lot has to do with which camera the flash is for.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:38 PM   #3

sorry, the flash would be for a nikon d50. I need a good all around flash.
stang1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:15 PM   #4

Unless you are willing to pay the price for the SB-600, or the SB-800 (the better flash), your best bet is to use a slave flash with your Nikon D-50.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:48 PM   #5

stang1911, I am also in your position looking for a best suitable flash for Nikon D50. My requirement is i should be able to use it as a Dedicated flash & also as a Slave flash too. But I have a question, when using a slave flash witha bracket, still do we need to use the built-in flash to trigger the slave flash ?.

Following were my considerations :

1. Sigma EF 500 DG Super (we can use bothas Dedicated & as a Slave ). But don'tknow if any one had anyFlash firing (timing) issues.

2. Vivitar DF-200 ( Guide No. 98, Can only be used as a Slave,Manual zoom) looks like a good deal for the price. I have able to find it for $ 50. But have to hand hold it always or else have to use the painful bracket. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15730894

3. Sunpak 383 super (Good Guide No. 120, costs only $ 76.00 online, Dedicated Flash, Can't be used as a Slave but can be used off-camera with the included PC cord).

4. Sunpak PZ40X ( Good Guide No. 102,Small Compact, Uses only 2 AA, Zoom Flash, can't be used asSlave flash)

vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:21 AM   #6
E.T

Metz 54 AF-1 N is dedicated Nikon model but there's no way to use it as slave.
(and looks like it doesn't have built in automatic/"thyristor" flash power control unlike 54 MZ)

Metz 54 MZ 4(i) is non-dedicated model which can be fitted to about every camera by using right adapter. (dedicated adapter supporting brand specific controls)
But using it as slave requires separate slave adapter...
Could be partially because with brand specific adapter it's compatible with wireless flash control of Minolta and Canon's more recent, own version of it.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/

vsrinu30 wrote:
Quote:
But I have a question, when using a slave flash withÂ*a bracket, still do we need to use the built-in flash to trigger the slave flash ?
Yes, unless you use that flash triggering cord whose name I don't remember now if camera has connector for it.
(or use some kind adapter cable between shoes of camera and flash)

And with separate slave flash camera's own flash would always want to fire at required power for right exposure so you would have to throttle it down manually if purpose is to get feeling that light is coming from other source than camera's flash. (because camera don't know that there's other flash for use as main light source)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote