Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:15 AM   #1

Need help in choosing the best external flash for my fuji S7000 camera.
Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks!!!!
Garland417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:36 AM   #2
E.T

Now that best compromise depends much on what are your requirements, budget and such...

If price isn't obstacle and requirements are amount of features and "future proofness" best would be definitely one from Metz MZ-serie...
Standard MZ flash with its standard foot would work directly with your camera and if you ever change to other camera brand you can fit flash to brand specific shoes by changing adapter.
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/

If you don't require any special features and compatibility with any camera then there's embarrassment of riches in cheaper options.
(your camera has standard flash shoe)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:34 AM   #3

Thanks for the insight. I am just a beginner and am moving up from the point and shoot. I relaized I needed another flash at my kids graduation. The stage was about 75 feet away from my seat and the backdrop of the stage was black and all of the pictures thatI took where dark. I am hoping that a externalflash with a long range would correct this problem. looking to spend under 100 bucks.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:16 PM   #4
Administrator

A Sunpak 383 Super would fit your $100 budget and 75 feet range example.

It's got a GN (Guide Number) of 120 feet at ISO 100.

To get the range of a flash at ISO 100, divide the GN by the Aperture. The Fuji can maintain an f/2.8 aperture through most of it's focal range.

Then, each time you double the ISO speed, the flash range increases by 1.4x.

Shooting at ISO 400 and f/2.8, you could get up to 84 feet out of this flash. It's $79.95 brand new in the box at B&H.

Sunpak 383 Super at B&H

You can probably pick up a similar flash on the used market for around $10

I've got a Sunpak 333 Auito I got in 10 Condition (As New in Box) from the used department at B&H for $25

It's got 3 Auto Aperture Ranges, a GN of 120 with a manual zoom head, tilt and swivel. It's also got multiple manual power settings. You sometimes see them for around $10 on Ebay (as you do some of the other Sunpaks around).

The newer Sunpaks usually have lower trigger voltages (some Digital Cameras specifiy a 6 volt or lower trigger voltage so you have to be careful with strobes)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:58 PM   #5

Thanks a bunch for all of the advice. Now the last question ?? If you had a choice of choosing between the Metz Mecablitz 54 MZ-4 and the Sunpak 383. Which one would you choose ?? Which one would be more effective in terms of delivering lighting at long distances and easiest to use ?? I can get my hands on the Metz for $120.00. Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:06 PM   #6
Administrator

Buy the Metz right now at that price if it's a reputable seller. Does that include a foot? If so, even better (sell it and get the one you want).

The 54MZ4 can be used with the appropriate foot (for example, the SCA3302M5 Adapter for Minolta models) for a number of cameras as a dedicated flash via the correct shoe, and also has it's own built in sensor for measuring reflected light during an exposure via it'sn Auto mode.

It also supports features like wireless flash and high speed sync modes for a number of camera via the correct foot.

If I were looking for the best general purpose shoe mount flash compatible with more than one system if I ever decided to change, it would probably be a Metz 54 MZ3 or MZ4 flash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:19 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Buy the Metz right now at that price if it's a reputable seller.

I would second that, if it is a reputable dealer. For comparison, at B&H photo, that flash is selling for $354 with a $40 mail in rebate. The Sunpak is about $80. You won't be able to use all the features pf the flash with the S7000, but they will be available if you ever upgrade your camera.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote