Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:11 AM   #1

I was deciding on the Metz 44 MZ 2, or the Metz 54 MZ 4 but don't know wich one to pick the 54 MZ 4 is double the money but just wanted to know what the difference would be on those two... Thanks.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:25 AM   #2
E.T

Well, biggest differences are guide numbers (power of flash), 44 vs 54. 44's head tilts only up and down while 54's also rotates. (bouncing from wall is possible).
Then there's some differences in user interface, in 54 settings are changed with rotating wheel instead of pushing buttons.

54 also has more advanced features for use with brand specific flash controls, now that Fuji has only standard flash shoe so in it those wouldn't benefit you but if you get some of those cameras which offer those functions in future it would be more future proof.
(after all flashes don't get old at same pace as cameras, especially when fitting it to any camera is possible just by changing adapter)

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron..._MZ-2.175.html
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron..._MZ-4.171.html

http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=acamblitz
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:09 PM   #3

Thanks E.T, but which one because they have 54 MZ 4i, then the 54 MZ 4 standard, 54 MZ 4 C does it matter which of those i get thanks...
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:54 PM   #4
E.T

Basically flash itself is same no matter which you buy, I think all flashes now available are that 4i models which includes support for some Nikon's new flash exposure metering functions.
When I bought "standard" model last summer from German ComputerUniverse it meant that 4i.

Standard "model" includes adapter with standard foot.
If there's letter in end that means it comes with brand specific adapter, C for Canon, M for Minolta, etc. I think other makes included are Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony.

(SCA) 301 is number for standard centre contact foot.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:19 PM   #5

Once again thanks E.T, but i am ordering from technikdirekt.de and they list the standard with no letter just 54 MZ 4 at 287 euro, and the others have 54 4i C, then 54 4i O, M, N, and so on and there 316 euro, so i should get the standard right?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:41 AM   #6
E.T

Neither CU listed standard model as 4i, actually they don't have that i there even with many of those ones coming with brand shoe adapters so I think it doesn't matter.
I'm sure Metz isn't making two models of 54MZ, additional cost from handling two production lines and logistics would cause propably way more expenses than they could save by leaving those Nikon specific functions away from standard flash.

Unless you buy standard model you need to get also that SCA 301.
If you need to fit flash also to camera with brand shoe it would be cheaper to buy "brand bundle" and just SCA 301 separately than other way (with prices of Technikdirekt), if flash is just for this camera it's better buy standard model now and adapters when need arises because sometimes adapters get updated firmwares for supporting newer camera models.

I myself bought standard model and Minolta adapter separately because CU didn't have Minolta "bundle".
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:46 AM   #7

Ok Thanks yes i will use the flash for the S9500 so i'll get the standard one..