Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:45 PM   #1

I have a couple of flashes from my Minolta SLR. Will these work with an FZ30?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

Trigger voltage of the flash unit must not exceedthe capacity of the camera!! If trigger voltage exceeds the camera specs, damage might occur to the camera. The FZ30 has a flash trigger voltage rated at 24 volts DC. Heres a pic that shows how to check the trigger voltage on the flash. First, turn the flash on so that it`s ready to strobe. Then using a volt meter, set the meter, and leads as shown in the pic. The pic displays the trigger voltage for that flash unit. I don`t use that flash for my FZ because it far exceeds the 24 volt limit.
Attached Images

John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:48 AM   #3

Check this link if you don´t have voltage meter.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

It´s better than nothing
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:22 AM   #4

I don't think I would trust what it says on that botzilla site regarding Vivitar flashes. In the case of the Vivitar 283, people have reported trigger voltages as low as 12 volts and a high of over 250 volts. My 1976 vintage model 283 is one of those whose trigger voltage is very high. Some of the later models seem to be much lower. I would try to get a volt meter to measure the trigger voltage of your specific model. If it's under 24 volts, you should be able to use it on your FZ30 with no problems.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I have a couple of flashes from my Minolta SLR. Will these work with an FZ30?
What kind of Minolta SLR, and what flash models?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:29 AM   #6

Sorry to barge in on this forum too but i what are the main advantages of buying an external flash over std flash?

Im guessing longer range
Wider throw
Directional

anyting else that can justify there hi price?
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:15 AM   #7

I think that you covered many of the advantages between std and external flash. All I can say is that the difference is really considerable.

There is a lot of reasonably priced flashes over there. There is no need to buy hi priced flashes becouse FZ can´t really take all the advantage they can offer.

I personally like the posibility to bounce the light off the ceiling. In-camera flash is not capable of luminating the background properly.
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:17 PM   #8

propwash wrote:
Quote:
I don't think I would trust what it says on that botzilla site regarding Vivitar flashes. In the case of the Vivitar 283, people have reported trigger voltages as low as 12 volts and a high of over 250 volts. My 1976 vintage model 283 is one of those whose trigger voltage is very high. Some of the later models seem to be much lower. I would try to get a volt meter to measure the trigger voltage of your specific model. If it's under 24 volts, you should be able to use it on your FZ30 with no problems.
My 10 years old korean made Vivitar 283 has a 7.8V trigger voltage . My Fuji S9500 works perfectly well with this flash. Older Vivitar 283 units made in Japan have much higher trigger voltage.

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to barge in on this forum too but i what are the main advantages of buying an external flash over std flash?

Im guessing longer range
Wider throw
Directional

anyting else that can justify there hi price?
External flash is usually more powerful, this gives you a longer working range (15m with Vivitar 283 instead of 3m with a build-in flash).

You can diffuse and soften the lightof the flash by bouncing it off the whitewall or ceiling or by using light diffuser, reflector, softbox, umbrella or just a piece of tracing paper or a tissue taped to your flash.

Just my $0.02.

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:58 AM   #9

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I also have an FZ30 and an external flash question. First off, I almost never do flash photography - most of my shots are done outside in bright sunlight with no shadows, so I've never had an occasion to bother learning about flash photography.

But. . . I want to understand it, and have just acquired a Vivitar Auto Thyristor 3700 flash with a standard module. Whatever that means . . . LOL - it's really greek to me!

I need to know, what do I need to do to make this work on my FZ30? I looked it up, and it appears that the voltage output is within the acceptable range, so do I need a bracket grip and shutter cord? Or do I need a hot shoe adapter? Any clues as to where I can find what I need at the best price? I guess what I need is probably really basic information that some of you flash gurus take for granted.

Thanks for your help!
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:27 AM   #10

Kayceespix wrote:
Quote:
I need to know, what do I need to do to make this work on my FZ30? I looked it up, and it appears that the voltage output is within the acceptable range, so do I need a bracket grip and shutter cord? Or do I need a hot shoe adapter?
- If your flash has a standard hotshoe, youshould beable to put it directely on the camera;

- an alternative is to put it on a bracket to have a "bracket-mounted" flash style, you then need: a bracket, adapters to trigger your flash from the camera hotshoe

FYI, an old thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...hlight=adorama
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote