Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:31 AM   #1

Hi All

I have a Panasonic FZ30, Anda Friend of mine has just given me (free)a Wotan sc18 slave flash (I've never heard of it either) There is no knobs or dials on it apart from on/off switch.

My problem is that it goes off with pre flash from my FZ30 and there is no way I can adjust the slave flash unit. I can't seem to stop the pre-flash on the FZ30 (unless I'm missing something in theFZ30 menu/manual) It pre-flashes in all the flash setting, unless someone can tell me different.

My question is if I can't stop the pre-flash is there a fix to overcome this?

As I got the flash for nothing there is no major worry!!

Thanks

Lello
lello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Administrator

I do not think there is a way to disable the preflash with your model.

If your slave can be triggered by a PC Sync cord, then you could use something like a Wein Digital Peanut Slave trigger with it (it can ignore preflashes).

But, you're probably better off buying a different flash that can work via your hotshoe if you need a better flash than the camera provides.

Auto Thyristor flashes are relatively inexpensive on the used market (just make sure the trigger voltage isn't more than 24 volts, to keep from damaging the camera).

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

I only paid $25 for a Sunpak 333 Auto in 10 condition (as new in box) from the used department at B&H (and you can find them for less on Ebay if you're a patient shopper).

In a new flash, the Sunpak 383 Super is a popular inexpensive choice for camera models that have an ISO standard hotshoe.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:36 PM   #3

Hi Jim

I take it if I buy another flash unit and attach it to my FZ hotshoe I will be able to use the Wotan as aslave unit because the new flash will not pre-flash?
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:33 PM   #4
Administrator

lello wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jim

I take it if I buy another flash unit and attach it to my FZ hotshoe I will be able to use the Wotan as aslave unit because the new flash will not pre-flash?
Yes. Using a cheap hot shoe attached flash is one technique some digital camera owners use to fire studio strobes with cameras that always have a preflash.

I only paid $7.00 for a smaller Sunpak 222 Auto from the used department at http://www.keh.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC sync cord). The shipping was more than the flash.

Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:38 PM   #5

FYI:

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/f...27/an/0/page/0

Seems there is a sync cord jack
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:40 PM   #6

KCan wrote:
Quote:
FYI:

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/f...27/an/0/page/0

Seems there is a sync cord jack
Interesting site,

I didn't know about the sliding panel!!

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:45 PM   #7

Hi Jim
I only paid $7.00 for a smaller Sunpak 222 Auto from the used department at http://www.keh.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC sync cord). The shipping was more than the flash.

Unfortunately I live in England! I don't think they would ship to England.

I will have a look on ebay for the sunpak

Thanks

Lello
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:46 PM   #8
Administrator

I think the model numbers are different in the UK for most of the Sunpaks.

But, it looks like they have some inexpensive auto thyristor models on Ebay UK now.

Checking current against completed UK Ebay listings, I found one with tilt and swivel that usually sells for around $10 US after currency conversion.

But, I don't know what the trigger voltages run on them (and make sure to test any flash you buy as Panasonic rates their hotshoe at 24 volts max trigger voltage).

Ebay UK Listing for Sunpak Auto 26DX

I found one forum post that said this model was the European equivalent to the Sunpak 333D. If that's correct (and I don't know) it will give you roughly the same performance as the 383 Super + a manual zoom head. Here is the forum post:

Forum post mentioning 26DX is European Equivalent of 333D

It's pretty hard to judge, but it looks like it's closer in size to my 222 Auto, looking at the length of the head from front to back on my 333 Auto trying to compare it to the 26DX in relation to shoe size. So, I wouldn't bet the forum post is correct.

If it's the same basic design as the 333 series Sunpaks, it will probably have 3 Auto Aperture Ranges as well as Manual Power Settings (Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16), with 3 LEDs that indicate the zoom head position, a sliding scale for ISO speed (25-1000), with distance ranges showing aperture needed for the your settings. If it's not the same as the 333 series, and is similar to U.S 2xx series Auto Sunpaks, it may have fewer available ranges.

Again, make sure to check the trigger voltage. If it's the same as the 333D, it's probably fine, since these typically run under 6 volts (but check it as some Sunpaks can have VERY high trigger voltages that could damage your camera).

That one is probably going to be closer in size to my Sunpak 333 Auto if it's really like a 333 series Sunpak. It's too hard for me to judge size from the 26DX listing, and I can't see the back to tell more. If it's closer to my 222 Auto instead (which it might be, judging from the shoe size compared to the body and flash head size), it will have shorter usable range. My guess is that the European specific versions show meters, too (the US versions are going to give you feet).

My Sunpak 222 Auto is smaller than the 333D or 333 Auto. My smaller 222 has tilt only with no swivel, 2 Auto Aperture Ranges, and 2 Manual Power Settings (full, 1/2). I don't know what European model would correspond to it.

Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:51 AM   #9

Thanks for your work

I am watching the item on e-bay and I'll put bid in at last minute

Thanks again

Lello
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:41 AM   #10
Administrator

Again, I couldn't find anything on trigger voltage. So, if you get it, make sure to test it with a volt meter to make sure it's going to work OK without frying your camera.

Good Luck!