Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:17 PM   #1

Does anyone have any experience with the Promaster flashes? They don't look as well built as the Nikon brand, but they are much more toward my price range.

Matt

mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2

I have a Promaster 7500DX for Minolta. It's much better than the pop up flash (of course) and has a lot of features that I like the results of. Bounce flash with a secondary fill flash. I bought mine from new2.onecall.com last fall for $140 USD. I think the price has jumped up towards $200 now, but's that's still lower than Canon, Nikon, Minolta equivalents. As far as build quality, I have no experience with anything else. It seems fine, feels solid to me,power zoom works well.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:26 PM   #3

I just heard from someone who had returned his Sigma 5oo Super to the factory and still was unhappy with it. He got a full refund, and bought the Promaster 7500DX for $189.95 at Wolf. They have now jumped up to $229.95, but I have seen the Nikon and Canon on eBay at good prices for like new units. I don't think it has the wireless foot or a case, but I am tempted to get one as a backup and for studio use.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:30 PM   #4

I can't speak for the Canon or Nikon version of the Promaster 7500DX, but the Minolta version has a wireless ttl function. I bought it with the impression that it just had a "dumb" slave function, but found that it has a two channel wireless ttl function for minolta maxxum cameras with that capability. Unfortunately I have a Minolta Dimage A200 which does not support wireless ttl. The documentation available on the Promaster web site is for the Canon version and it seems to imply that it is not wireless for Canon cameras, but does have a slave function.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:35 PM   #5

a200user wrote:
Quote:
I can't speak for the Canon or Nikon version of the Promaster 7500DX, but the Minolta version has a wireless ttl function. I bought it with the impression that it just had a "dumb" slave function, but found that it has a two channel wireless ttl function for minolta maxxum cameras with that capability. Unfortunately I have a Minolta Dimage A200 which does not support wireless ttl. The documentation available on the Promaster web site is for the Canon version and it seems to imply that it is not wireless for Canon cameras, but does have a slave function.
Does it support HSS? I was asked this on another forum, and looking at the owner's manual online, I see no mention of HSS although it has rear sync capability.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 6:52 AM   #6

You asked if the Promaster 7500DX supports HSS. I don't think so, but the onlycomplete instruction manualavailable on line is for the Canon version:

http://www.promaster.com/support/boo...als/7500DX.pdf

Except for the wireless capability of the Minolta version everything else is the same as described in the Canon instruction manual.

The Promaster Website also has a link where you can submit questions about their flashes. I used it before I made my purchase, they were very helpful.

http://www.promaster.com/contactflash.asp

Good luck.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:46 AM   #7

a200user wrote:
Quote:
You asked if the Promaster 7500DX supports HSS. I don't think so, but the onlycomplete instruction manualavailable on line is for the Canon version:

http://www.promaster.com/support/boo...als/7500DX.pdf

Except for the wireless capability of the Minolta version everything else is the same as described in the Canon instruction manual.

The Promaster Website also has a link where you can submit questions about their flashes. I used it before I made my purchase, they were very helpful.

http://www.promaster.com/contactflash.asp

Good luck.
Thnaks. I emailed another 7500 owner and he wasn't sure about it. For the price, it looks promising even w/o HSS.