Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:16 AM   #11

AndE wrote:
Quote:
I've made a modified Metz battery pack to boost the voltage of rechargeables to normal levels around 9volts.
If you are talking about Metz 45 series, there is no need and no reason to do this. Different terminals contacts are provided and used for both case (6 alkalines, or 6 rechargeables)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:18 AM   #12

AndE wrote:
Quote:
...the recycle was slow with rechargeables
Yes if you use the wrong rack
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:05 PM   #13

Hi Guys... the reason I use the 9 volt rack is because the holders for interchangeable batteries are manufactured for alkaline batteries with the volt pins. I could modify for 7.2 volts but found I don't need it with the 4 extra batteries. First one brings it up to 9 and the others bring me up to 9 or 10 which I find is safe and keep me at top working condition. Because by adding the extra batteries as you deplete your pack keeps it working always around 9 volts like as if you had fresh batteries. After 100 flashes I'm still getting an instant recycle time.

In the end when I'm done with all the batteries in my booster I end up depleting my batteries to the max. I found charging semi depleted recycled batteries reduces their life span. They say they don't have a memory effect. I say it's bull %$^&. I've never had a pack last a 1000 charges from any manufacturer. Any how I'm just happy to have the extra pow when I need it with a flip of a switch. BAM 1.3 volts more to play with. Or 1.6 if I use the new beefed up Duracell's which cost me 10 bucks for 4. I don't think I'll be buying any more of them soon. Witch brings me to another point... you guys say I can use the 7.2 volt pin but with this pack I can also use alkaline batteries and you use each of the 4 extra booster batteries to extend their life cycle.

I tested the flash on 15 volts and it works just like 9 volts on full power without damage. The flash unit drains the batteries and stores the pow in it's capacitors which can handle the extra voltage to power up. I've been using my unit on 10.3 volts. When it gets to about 9, I boost it back to about 10.5 so I never work below peak levels. This causes all the batteries in ( already active in pack) to keep their peak power levels longer until the fourth battery is added. Then it's shoot till we die as usual. But by the end of 9 I recommend a change. But if you just want to shoot a few more shots, then you can use the 10th battery, why not.

That's about it I guess.

Keep on flashing
:|

AndE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:10 PM   #14

Dear AndE!

Yes. you are right...but...really I shoot with any flash (1/2 dozen in my whole collection!), today is so barely 99% in "AUTO"...that, adding your "Booster" is NOT relevant in my case.:blah:

Second...ALL batteries suffer from "Memory"... so with my last acquired "Maha" charger...I first "Discharge"; & after charge again till the green led lits for least 1/2 hour. Wait till are cool, & load to any of my collection strobes. With my last acquired for a mere $:50.00 Metz CL-4...first I do so with 4 cells & after another 2 ones.

Whatever...your "Booster"...is a very wize & cute device!!!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:51 AM   #15

Hello Folks,

Here is a photo of my acquired Metz CL-4 attached to my lovely KM Dynax 7D camera, as all of you can see it...the flash and all the originally accesories that came for the same $:50.00 payed...is really in a "Super Mint' conditions...of course the supplied NiCd pack "Passed Away", for the vintage age of the unit:idea:

Works at manual of course 100% well...good bargain purchase!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote