Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:06 PM   #1

Introduction: A few months ago, I purchased a Metz CT-4 flash and love the flash but hate the battery life. There are two types of battery holders, one fixed nicad battery type holder and the other being an alkaline battery holder. I read when nimh @1.2V batteries are used in the alkaline battery holder, which holds 6 batteries, there's only 7.2 volts available when the flash is actually looking for 9 volts (the original alkaline battery holder used alkaline batteries @1.5V each), so the flash behaves sluggishly when using nimh. Then I read there were ways to modify the nicad battery holder to use nimh, but these methods seemed to go a bit over my head.

Discalimer: I am posting this to get information on whether my methods are okay to use with the flash, so if anyone does try this, this DIY is at your own risk. I am hoping that someone with knowledge on this subject can confirm or disprove this idea, so until then...

Instructions: I took the metz alkaline battery holder and soldered two wires, one going to +, and the other going to -. Soldered the connecter for a battery pack holding 8 nimh batteries. There is a built in capacitor built into the metz battery pack connecting + and -, the one on mine shorted out, so I cut the wire figuring there's no need for it. Connected it all up, and voila, the new battey pack works.

Questions: Should the extra .6V (8 bat @9.6V) from the 8 batteries be of any concern? Also, if a 12V battery source were to be used, would that have any ill effects on the flash? Would this extra voltage benefit the recharge rate on the flash? What could be done to improve this battery pack?
Attached Images

imadethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:02 AM   #2

imadethis wrote:
Quote:
Questions: Should the extra .6V (8 bat @9.6V) from the 8 batteries be of any concern? Also, if a 12V battery source were to be used, would that have any ill effects on the flash? Would this extra voltage benefit the recharge rate on the flash? What could be done to improve this battery pack?

The 6 alkalines will give 9 volts max ;
The 8 rechargeables (NiMh or NiCad) give around 11 volts (~ 8 x 1.4 V) at the beginning of the discharge cycle when they are full charged.
I do not recommend this but it's may be acceptable.

IMO, forget the 12 V source unless you cut it to 9 V (by converter or any kind of regulation).
This flash use an analog electronic circuitry and the accuracy is affected by the supply voltage.

The right thing to do is to supply the right nominal voltage at the right corresponding terminals:

FYI:

http://www.pbase.com/kcan/metz4540_battery_pack

The recharge time can be improved (safely) with the current availability ,meaning you can use 6 D cells instead of AA cells for example.

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:01 AM   #3

Dear Folks!

Soon I will acquire for a mere $:50.00, a Ct-4, looks like new with many items, as mains power supply, Nikon's dedicated shoe, bounce holder (Never used!), short & a 10 meters PC cords, full filter set...maybe a few more items that yet I can't recall.

Sadly..the Instructions are missing, or maybe are in German language...I will inform to all of you when will be received.

For such price, will be not wise from me no to owned?

Right?:blah:

Cheers,

ALEX 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:43 AM   #4

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Sadly..the Instructions are missing,
I had a link to CL4 manual, but the link is dead now
I will split the file to be capable to post here (there is a 244 k limit)
The CL4 is the new version of the CT4,but almost the same

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
For such price, will be not wise from me no to owned?

Right?:blah:

Right

Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5

Dear KCan!

Seems me that two days more I will get it...I will make a photo of all the items, that will came together!

Thank you so much for your noble effort with me, with the Instructions.

Here my email address, so you can mailed there till 10mb size!

[email protected]

Be well & thank you again,

Sincerely,

ALEX 007:|
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:15 AM   #6

Hi Alex,

I just email you the file (415 k pdf). I am sure you will enjoy the 45CT-4, as many of us. I beleive you have the dedicated module for film Nikon camera, witch works also with Coolpix 950 for example.
Myself, I don't have the Metz Nikon module but I use a Nikon film dedicated flash on my CP 950 perfectly.

I will try to post the manual here in 2 parts

Regards, KCan
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:18 AM   #7

Metz 45CL-4 manual, part 1 of 2
Attached Files
File Type: zip Metz_45cl4_p1-14.zip (176.6 KB, 143 views)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:18 AM   #8

Metz 45CL-4 manual, part2 of 2
Attached Files
File Type: zip Metz_45cl4_p15-27.zip (211.3 KB, 128 views)
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:04 PM   #9

Hi everyone.

I've made a modified Metz battery pack to boost the voltage of rechargeables to normal levels around 9volts. Previously the recycle was slow with rechargeables because you were working with 7.5 volts about to start with. The recycle time is instant once you add the first extra battery. And when they become depleted I add more extra AA's with a flip of a switch to keep them constantly around 9 volts. The 4 AA pack adds up to 6 more volts to use. I'm selling these packs on ebay under Metz 45 Battery Pack/Holder with 4 AA Battery Booster. I dont want to sound like a comercial but I loved the results so I'm making these for anyone who wants. I noticed you guys were looking for something like this. If anyone wants to talk to me, you can email me at [email protected].

AndE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:58 PM   #10

Hi AndE!

Nice product...which ones is yours the rectangular one?...How enter to the hammer hole, as the originally one?

With my supplied original, battery holder one & with 6 rechargeables Energizer 2,500 type batteries at "M" full the red "Ready light goes on in less of 3 seconds, each time...which is fast. It's really imperative faster?.

Peace:idea:

Alex 007:|