Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 1, 2006, 10:04 PM   #1

I have a Sony DSC F828 with the Sony HVL F32X external flash and I cannot get the flash to operate. I have gone through the instructions in both the camera and the flash manuals. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I may be missing?
crlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2006, 9:19 AM   #2

My suggestions:

1) If the flash has a test button, check if it works
2) The camera menu may have something to "activate" the external flash
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 10:30 AM   #3

The flash works when the test button is pressed, and when the fire button in lightly pressed, the light on the camera is on indicating the flash is ready. However, it will not flash for taking a picture. I have checked the menu and there is no "activate flash" on the menu.

The instructions in both manuals are not clear about whether the external accessory cord is required for this flash, so I have tried it both with and without the cord and it does not work.

Thanks for your suggestion
Old May 2, 2006, 4:57 PM   #4

I'm not sure about the 828 as I own the DSC-V3. However, on the V3, you have to select whether to use the internal or an external flash via the menu.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 11:09 PM   #5

This is also true on the 828 and I have done that. This is not the problem. Thanks just the same.
Old May 6, 2006, 10:30 PM   #6

I called Sony and fixed the problem. I was missing one of the steps in setting up the flash.
Old May 8, 2006, 8:31 PM   #7

Be sure to post your impressions of the flash. There are those who say it is overpriced, recharges slowly and lacks features available on other flashes. That being said, I just got mine for my V3 and I love it. It is plenty powerful for me, the camera automatically recognizes it and it exposes very well. Recharge times are faster than my old Pentax and even faster with good batteries.
gebco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 9:14 PM   #8

I have only had the flash and camera about a week, so there has not been sufficient use to make a good judgement. So far I have nothing negative to say about the flash. I am using four rechargeable NiMH 2500mah batteries and took about 150 pics on a charge and it is still going. However I was not using the external flash for all the pics.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:35 PM   #9

crlott wrote:
Quote:
I called Sony and fixed the problem. I was missing one of the steps in setting up the flash.
Can you explain what step you missed because I've yet to get the flash to work with my 828 yet. Currently, any function I try other than "test" or "modeling" I get the "Connection" blinking and nothing happens. I've tightened it, and tried many different set up steps.

-Irked
dtekky is offline   Reply With Quote