Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 8, 2002, 11:04 PM   #1

Default Digislave Units in the shoe

Steve, many months back you did a First Look at Digislave 3000, which strobe looks like the cats meow. However, when I traded email with these folks, they indicated that the trigger voltage was "quite high" and well above the safe 6V level promoted by other websites. The PRO model has a 5V trigger potential.

Did you, perchance, measure the voltage on the 3000 to determine actual level? I would like to plant said unit into the shoe of my Epson 3100Z with the knowledge that it's safe to the circuitry.

I found a thread on Phil Askey's site in which a fellow claims Epson told him (on the phone) "the design specs actually recommend between 100 and 240 volts." Epson Connection sent me an email claiming no knowledge of what the limitations are for their camera. They were anything but helpful.

At this point, my venture to find a shoe-mount, slave strobe, capable of accomodating a pre-flash (NOT the red-eye), has resulted in the Digislave PRO model only. Would certainly like to know of other safe strobes, if anyone would care to share.

Signed: More time searching than it's worth.
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2002, 5:33 PM   #2
Administrator

<a href="http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm">Wein Products</a> has a whole new line of digital slaves and safe sync devices for use with the newer digital cameras and SLRs.

I believe their HSD is what you are looking for, it is a shoe mount (with tripod socket hole under shoe) with a hot shoe on top for using nearly any auto strobe with a center contact plus it also has a PC sync output too.

Both the HSD and the PND (Peanut digital) are batteryless and have an incredible range. I used a lot of Wein slaves back in the good ole film days, they were real workhorses and still are.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:11 AM   #3

Default Slaves, shoes, what to do

I checked in with the folks at Wein Products. The HSD would work fine were I to mount the flash off-camera. One, it doesn't fit the shoe, having only a threaded base and two, it's not "safe," i.e. it doesn't reduce voltage to safe levels.

They recommended HSHS (hot shoe to hot shoe) safe sync device to get the Viv 273 mounted in the shoe, but this unit doesn't have a built-in slave. So, if the PND would fit the older sync connection on the Viv 273, I could combine the HSHS and the PND.

While searching about, I found the Hama 6967, which may resolve the entire problem in one (much less expensive) part. Unfortunately, I don't speak Deutsch and the English version of their website (www.hama.de) doesn't offer much help. I sent a note off to one of their "reps" in Canada (none listed for USA ??) and I'm awaiting the answer.

The quest continues....

UPDATE: Found a Hama rep in Canada (w/ Kindermann in Ontario) who was very responsive. He said this model triggers on first flash and cannot accommodate the pre-flash.

This is approaching the last straw; my desire to keep the flash on camera will result in a call to SR Electronics...I feel it happening.....

[Edited on 8-15-2002 by Damien*]
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:27 PM   #4

Well, I finally decided to go with the Metz 32 Z-2, as recommended by Epson. For a few reasons :arrow:

1. It's modular form allows me to change out the foot for a future camera that may not accept non-dedicated unit.
2. Metz advertised a new SCA module in August (SCA 3083) that should allow me to wirelessly slave to my camera as desired.
3. It cost more, but the construction is far better than the Quantary 383 (by Sunpak) that I looked at.
4. It's lighter and has more features for the price than the Vivitar 283.
5. It's lighter, cheaper, and has a safe trigger voltage when compared with the digislave units in the same feature range.

I bought my Metz on ebay with a nikon module. Have ordered a non-dedicated from cambridgeworld.com and am seeking information from Metz on the new SCA module. Will post as I learn more.

Damien*