Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 11, 2006, 4:02 PM   #1

While looking for the Sunpak TL-8 zoom head for my Sunpak 433D flash, I found an auction on ebay for the Sunpak auto 36DX flash including the TL-8 and won the item for $10. Today that the flash arrived it looks like new and in better shape than my 433D and it seems to have all the same features, GN, and has a slow sync switch. Does anyone have any experience with this flash? I have not heard anything about it. All the discussions here seem to be about the Sunpak 383 or 433. BTW, I'd be using it on my KM5D.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 4:50 PM   #2
Administrator

I found one comment on a forum that one of the positions is designed to be for dedicated (depending on the camera it was made for), so it only has 2 versus 3 auto aperture ranges. I saw GN posted as being 120 feet at ISO 100.

I don't know if the poster was that familiar with it or not.

You should be able to tell by looking at it.

If it is missing an aperture range you need, and you want one with 3 Auto Aperture Ranges, tilt and swivel, manual power settings (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16) like your other Sunpaks, *and* a built in zoom head (with LEDs on the back to indicate the zoom head position), a Sunpak 333 Auto gives you that. GN runs from about 86 feet to 120 feet at ISO 100, depending on the zoom head position.

That's the expensive strobe I decided to "splurge" on for my 5D. :-)

I got one in perfect condition from B&H for $25

It appeared to be new in the box (I couldn't tell that it had ever been used at all, or that anyone had ever unfolded the manual or removed the original wrapping from it). B&H listed it in 10 condition (as new in box).

You see them pop up on Ebay from time to time (sometimes for under $10). It doesn't have a plug for external power. But, otherwise, it's not bad. It's non-dedicated and can be used via a hotshoe or PC Sync cord.

I bought a Sunpak 222 Auto for a smaller strobe (no zoom head, tilt but no swivel, 2 auto ranges, 2 manual settings). It will also work via a PC Sync Port or an ISO standard hotshoe. Judging from the scales on the back, GN is about 72 feet at ISO 100. This one set me back $7, including a coiled PC Sync Cord from KEH.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:53 PM   #3

Actually it has all the samecontrols. It seems to be the same flash. Other than the added slow sync button. It is dedicated to the Canon EOS Series, but I use it manually anyway. Nice surprise, given that I was only looking for the TL-8 attachment and received this nice, like new flash for a total of $10.

Old May 12, 2006, 12:29 AM   #4
Administrator

That's a great deal then.

Yep... I splurged when I bought my 333 Auto ($25). I saw one on Ebay the next day with a buy it now price of $9.95 :-)

Mine was like new (it looked brand new to me) in the box with manual. Someone was selling another similar Sunpak model that was new in the box for $14.95 recently on Ebay. They had several of them listed. But, those didn't have the zoom head like my 333 Auto (plus they wanted just as much for shipping as they did for the Sunpaks).

That's still a better deal than buying a new 383 Super though. lol

The post I found about the 36DX must have been wrong if it has the same available settings. They said this about it (and I noticed the two auto settings part since most of the similar models have three, and assumed that the dedicated position for Olympus in this one's case must have been taking the place of one of the auto ranges):

"I picked up a Sunpak 36dx on ebay. Appears to be much the same as the Sunpak 383 which is regularly recommended for the FZ20, except it has a dedicated setting for Olympus. It has two auto settings and a manual setting as well as power adjustment. Works fine with the FZ20 and a lot cheaper than the 383."

Old May 18, 2006, 9:54 AM   #5

Hi Jim & Rduve!

It's good to read again post regarding Sunpak strobes, the Auto 36DX is 100% exactly to the US model 444D, former to my Auto 433AF (AF they added for Autofocusing cameras & pity; a FIXED shoe for each cameras), your "Non Ultra Plus Bargain" $:10.00, Auto 36DX is the European model for the US imported Auto 444D. With the extra incentive, that IF you change camera bodies at that era...was neccesary ONLY to acquire a NEW dedicated hot shoe, instead the whole flash as happen with mine. The "NEWER" 338 is 100% precisely same body & features, that the Auto 36DX, 444D, & Auto 433AF.

BTW Jim you wrote...
I picked up a Sunpak 36dx on ebay. Appears to be much the same as the Sunpak 383 which is regularly recommended for the FZ20, except it has a dedicated setting for Olympus.

Exist also, maybe; today hard to obtain, the "Standard" hot shoe replacement instead your received Olympus one!

Rduve...the 100% exactly replacement for the Auto 36DX zoom head is named 6 instead 8...but...seems me that are 100% the same:love:

I hope my two best friends, that I elucidate this matter!

Cheers,

Alex 007:|

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6

thank you, Alex, for the info. I know for sure now that I got a great bargain.

Old May 20, 2006, 9:55 AM   #7

rduve wrote:
Quote:
thank you, Alex, for the info. I know for sure now that I got a great bargain.

The old 36DX flash with its dedicated hotshoe mount is a good flash BUT its trigger voltage is 10 -11 volts which puts it on the beware list.

caveat emptor
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8

Hi Geriatric!

Yes it's possible, so will be much better if each Owner...of his acquired bargain strobe, check his specific unit...also can be some variations among them...less or more trigger voltage...I really agree that the lower better!

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Administrator

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
The old 36DX flash with its dedicated hotshoe mount is a good flash BUT its trigger voltage is 10 -11 volts which puts it on the beware list.
I'd make sure to measure any strobe's trigger voltage you consider.

But, I only see two reports of trigger voltages from this model so far on a popular site for keeping track of them, and they were reported to be relatively low (2.4 volts reported by one 36DX user, and 5.86 volts reported by another).

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Were they using a decent high impedence voltmeter? Your guess is as good as mine. But, I haven't seen any evidence yet of this model having excessive trigger voltage.