Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:48 PM   #1
SSD

Default S602 Flash?

I am going to buy a Canon 550 Ex flash for my Canon film SLR and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this flash will work with the S602.
Thanks!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2003, 5:18 PM   #2

It will work in the manual mode for sure, but you will need a handheld flash meter to determine the correct exposure. No TTL or E-TTL , automatic mode may work in some cases.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
but you will need a handheld flash meter
What's wrong with setting the 602 to 'preview save' mode and checking the Histogram? - I've found that can give pretty good results, after all, with most flash you have the risk of highlight burn, and too many 255's in the histogram show that well, whereas the flash meter at the cam position will only give the average scene exposure.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 12:27 PM   #4

It will take a lot of guess works without a handleld flash meter, but I guess if you don't do this kind of work for living, and have time to experience with this, plus you can view the results on the LCD screen, that would not be a problem and it worth a try (no film waisted, no nee to print under/over-exposured pictures)but I have to warn you, there will be a lot of disappointed results before you can get the proper result. Be-sure to set the camera at manual mode including setting the ISO manuallly so the camera doesn't automatically change the values of these setting, but for the long run, a flash meter would be a better choice, some of the better flash meter will have the flash analysis function also, very helpful.

Depend on what technique you use to meter the light, incident metering measure the light falling on the subject, it will not be affected by the too dark or to light subject the way the camera sees it. But any way, depending on how much anyone undertand the exposure, the more you know, the faster you can get to Rome... cheers

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote