Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:45 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D-200 w/18-200 VR Lens, SB-800, and Stroboframe "Press T" bracket. The SC-29 cord was on back order for about 8 weeks. While waiting I found the Joe Demb "Flip-it" diffuser system. I have both the 2-1/2" X 3" and the 4" X 4". Now that the SC-29 cord has arrived, I'm having difficulty giving up the "Flip-it". I take most indoor photos in rooms from 20x30 to 30x50 with 10' to 20' ceilings.

I'm hopeful that someone who is very familiar with both systems can explain the scenarios where the bracket is advantageous over the "Flip-it".

gstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 5:12 PM   #2

I think as long as you have a nice cealing to bounce the light around the flip-it will work just fine. If doing a wedding in a larger room like inside a Church you will really need to use the Press-T bracket to get the flash high enough to not have shadows messing up your photographs. Unless You are right on top of the Bride & Groom you will have to point the flash head toward the subjects to get enough light. The Flip-it will spread the light but you will need to be close enought to have enough of it for a proper exposure.

They both perform diffrent jobs and both are very good at what they do.

Flip-it is good for Portraits.

Bracket is good for streight on flash head for ample light.

I have the exact same set-up you have. D200,18/200 VR, SB-800 speedlight, SC-29 TTL cord. And the Press-T bracket. I do all of My weddings using just this set-up and never had any problems even when they turned down the lights inside the church during the ceramony.

Ronnie.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply, it was very beneficial. When shooting in a large room with high ceilings, do you use a diffuser attached to the flash head? If yes,do you use the one supplied with the SB-800 or another brand?

Thanks . . .

gstephens
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:56 PM   #4

If I'm shooting the room ( Such as a Condo room for a ad to rent) I use up tothree SB-800's with the diffusers attached. If I'm shooting tablesat a wedding or such I use one SB-800 on the Press-T with no diffuser. I use the bounce card built into the flash. I have been doing this so long I just kind of know what I need to do as soon as I see the room layout.

With the condo rooms being on the beach at Daytona I need to balance the inside light to show off the view in the window of the ocean and beach. I meter everything and shoot manual. I try to keep my inside lighting at F-16 and as even as possible. It is imposable to show the whole room so I position to only show what will look great and cozy and still have a nice view.

With the D-200 it is real easy to get my lighting set up. I put the diffusers that came with the SB-800's on them and point the heads straight up. I use the Pop-Up to fire them. I use three channels so I can adjust each strobe by itself. At times according to the situation I will use onewith theSC-29 on the press T as the master. Instinct and experience is what I depend on.
Ronnie,

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:49 AM   #5

Obviously you are an experienced professional and shoot numerous scene scenarios. I am an old amateur of 65 and have been clicking the shutter for about 50 years. I mostly shoot people indoors, birthday parties, family reunions, pre-marital parties etc. Most venues have 10' to 20' ceilings. My priorities in descending order are:
  • Focus [/*]
  • Exposure [/*]
  • Soft lighting (facial tone) and shadow management [/*]
  • Composition[/*]
You say that you rely on instinct and experience. I believe that instinct is a direct result of experience. If I am to venture out into large rooms where the bracket is needed, then I must gain experience thru practice.

Thanks again for your replies.
gstephens