Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:21 PM   #1

According to B&H the Sunpak FP-38 flat panel flash includes a slave sensor for automatic firing when it sees another flash. If I were to want to use this as the primary flash for soft lighting (protrait shots of a baby for example...), is there any way to fire this as my only flash? (After all, the internal flash firing at the same time would negate the soft lighting, wouldn't it?)

The flash apparently comes with a sync cable but, if this is to sync the flash with the camera, I would obviously need some way to trip it. My camera, a Lumiz FZ30, lacks that ability except through the hot shoe. Is there a universal adapter that would fit on my hot shoe and trigger the FP-38 correctly?

I found a dummy hot shoe adapter at B&H that has a female PC port on it for tripping a flash. Will that work?
DEaton3162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:19 AM   #2

DEaton3162 wrote:
Quote:
I found a dummy hot shoe adapter at B&H that has a female PC port on it for tripping a flash. Will that work?
That's it. There are various variations. You have also to make sure that the flash trigger voltage is within the limit of camera specification since the adapter makes a direct electric connection to the hotshoe

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:38 PM   #3

I have been looking at the sunpak fp38 flash and I also have the panasonic fz30. Can you give me details to explain what I need to have it fire off of my camera? Also have you done very much researh on this flash and how pictures look when it is used. I haven't found very much.
M
kmddma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:02 AM   #4

There is surprisingly little on the web about this particular flash although these flashes in general provide a much softer light that is most benificial when taking portrait shots.

Since the majority of the photos that I take are of people (and I have a couple of family members getting married soon...) I wanted to look at other flash options and ran across the FP-38. When I originally started looking at it online I was able to find a web site that had comparison shots taken with standard strobe type flashes and others taken with flat panel flashes but I don't believe that they were using this exact model.

These flashes are set up to be used as slave flashes (some of the more knowledgable experts on this forum can correct me if I am wrong...) and therefore contain a sensor that looks for a flash coming from your primary flash in order to trigger the flat panel flash. The disadvantage of this setup is that, if more than one person is taking a photo of the same thing, the other person's flash might trigger yours as well.

In order to use it as your primary flash they you will need to get an adapter for your hot shoe that has a port from which you can connect your slave flash. (you can find one by Kaiser for $9.95 at B&H. Do a search for part # 201300) With this adapter in place the camera signal sent to the hot shoe will then be carried via a small cable to the slave flash and trigger it instead.

Of course the internal flash controls of the FZ-30 will be disabled as soon as you put a flash or hot shoe adapter on the camera's hot shoe so you will have to set all your settings manually to prevent over or under exposure.
DEaton3162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:29 AM   #5

I think I'm going to wait on the fp flash. Panasonic is coming out with a fz50 that has ttl flash capabilities. It also goes up to 1600 ISO. I saw the intro on dp review and I think it looks awsome for a nondslr. I'm really happy with my fz30, it's hard to think they could improve on it.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:08 AM   #6

If you're worried about trigger voltage (KCan's post) Wein offers a Wein Safe unit that attaches to the hot shoe, givesa PC connection and regulates the trigger voltage of the flash to a safe 6.5 VDC.About $50 USD.See B&H under flash accessories.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:22 AM   #7

I use the FP-38 on my Olympus C8080 as the main flash.Camera inManual mode-flash mounted on a Stroboframe bracket-the supplied sync cord attached to the Wein Safe Sync in the hot shoe.Soft lighting-works great for portraits. Really fast recycle time-bought mine on Ebay about a year ago.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:17 PM   #8

Do you have any pics that you can attach? I haven't seen many with the fp-38, that's been one of the reasons I have waited to buy also. I really like the idea for portability. How far away from the subject are you when you are using it. It has a good reach? That was another of my concerns.
M
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:30 AM   #9

With a guide number of 38 (hence the name) "reach" will not be it's strong suit. Portrait work where you need a soft, diffused light is where this unit will shine (no pun intended).

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:47 PM   #10

Have you used it as a slave flash outside? I purchased three of these for indoor and outdoor fill and accent lighting. Indoors they work well on the light stands. When i take the units outside they fire uncontrollably. Is there a remedy without having to use a cable?

Alex
aquapell is offline   Reply With Quote