Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 7, 2003, 10:05 AM   #1

Default Canon G3 - What compatibles Work???

Just got a G3 last weekend - (great so far!). I've been looking for any information / advise on the web regarding non-Canon flash units, but can't seem to find any answers. Anyone know if units from Vivitar, Sigma, Metz, Cobra etc are defininately compatable with the G3 on auto mode - ie, they'll do the same as the Canon dedicated Speedlite units.

Any help appreciated.

Num
numskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2003, 1:47 PM   #2

Hmmm... guess no one knows huh??!!!
Old May 18, 2003, 2:25 PM   #3

Metz has adapter for E-ttl mode for your cam

http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pag...e_content.html

But since you have a hot shoe, almost any flashes will do if you use manual or auto mode , watch for the trigger voltage of older flash though.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 2:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the info KCan - errr.. Whats E-TTL???!!! ops: Sorry for my stupidity, but I'm pretty new to this this stuff!!

Num
Old May 19, 2003, 2:27 PM   #5

Numskull,
“E-TTL” … my honest answer would be : I don’t know exactly ops: .

Each brand (Canon, Nikon …) has it’s own nomenclature and definition of its own flash metering technique .

TTL means “through the lens” . Long ago, Nikon (if I remember right) introduce TTL flash metering into SLR cameras (ie: Single Lens Reflex cameras with interchangeable lenses) , using a sensor (inside the camera) to measure the amount of light bouncing back from the film plane, thus having an exact information about the proper lighting and cutting the flash at the right moment , all this independently of the lenses and filters attached.

Then came digital cameras, they don’t have a “film plane” but a CCD , that principle can’t be used anymore, but came may other techniques to provide the same ease and accuracy of flash metering , automatically of course.
Nikon has the new D-TTL , other makes have other technique as well, that’s why I said “I don’t know exactly”.

What you can believe is: if you use a third party flash, for example a Metz flash, Metz can have an “adapter” to keep the auto features offered with your camera.
In my case for example, the corresponding adapter from Metz would cost me around 200$ , so I did not buy it, I use the flash in manual and in auto mode (you set both the flash and the camera at the same aperture, and the flash , with it’s own sensor, fire the correct amount (duration) of flash)
Old May 19, 2003, 3:27 PM   #6

Bravo Kcan. good answer.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 11:12 PM   #7

Thanks sjms for the compliment (especially from a guru like you)
Still , I am not able to answer exactly numskull’s question :mrgreen:
Old May 20, 2003, 3:46 AM   #8

Blimey - comprehensive reply mate - thanks!!
I understand the principal (I think!). I notice that you state that
Quote:
I use the flash in manual and in auto mode (you set both the flash and the camera at the same aperture, and the flash , with it’s own sensor, fire the correct amount (duration) of flash)
I was the auto mode "bit" I was interested in Kcan. I'll explain. Simplistically, I want to be able to capture shots in near darkness. On my EOS 650 and the dedicated Speedlite, the auto assist beam always got pretty reliable Automatic results. The auto assist beam on the G3 seems poor in comparison and only the really expensive dedicated Canon flash units have this built-in. However, their costs, even for the EX220 without an auto assist beam, are very high - hence the start of this thread! Don't want much, do I!!!
Old May 20, 2003, 9:25 AM   #9

numskull
Came across this :
http://electronicsemall.com/electron...flas730af.html

That’s a Vivitar dedicated flash for Canon 35mm . I don’t know if Vivitar or other makes have dedicated flash for the G3. The above model may not support all functions.
You may post in the Canon forum to see if anyone has found a good solution.

If you can be satisfied with a flash in auto mode (the camera in manual or aperture priority mode) , you can get a popular flash that is not that expensive : for example , one with some manual settings ( full, 1/4, 1/8 power… ) , and some auto settings ( f4, f5.6, f8 …) such a flash would be useful anyway with your G3 or any other camera , film or digital .