Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:55 PM   #1

Whats the very best external flash for my e-volt 500.?
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:51 AM   #2

I'd like to know the answer to this, also.

_________
Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:31 PM   #3

How about the Olympus FL-50

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:47 AM   #4

I'd say that the FL-50 is probably the best flash for the E-500 as it's currently the most powerful flash made by Oly and should be fully compatible.

Does anyone have any opinions on any non-dedicated flashes like the Sunpak 383 or some Promaster flashes? Are these types of flashes compatible?
MOG_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:07 PM   #5

thnx
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:03 PM   #6

I guess we need to know what you mean by "best". Most powerful? Output vs. size? Economical? TTL? While I agree the FL-50 is the best dedicated flash for the E-series the price tag made me opt for the FL-36. Smaller, good controls, tilt/swivel head and operates in TTL, auto or manual modes. It's my overall choice for walkaround flash, but leaves me wanting in 2 areas...1) output is not as far-reaching as I'd like and 2) the two-battery design (to save on size) also compromises battery life and recycle times (the FL-50 uses 4 batteries).

To be honest, my vote for best flash is not one dedicated for the E-series (or any other model for that matter) but my trusty old Sunpak 544. I've always been a fan of the "potato masher" handle flashes, it has power out the wazoo (GN of 140 with a 50' range), a low trigger voltage (measured 6.5 volts with my meter so safe for most every camera) and the non-dedicated sensor provides the most balanced exposures in auto mode I've ever experienced. Runs on 6 AA's or a NiCad pack (lots of shooting time) and the price...$130 USD new at B&H. That's less than the FL-50 or FL-36. You can find them used on ebay (paid $68 for mine, worth every penny). Granted, it's not your everyday walkaround unit due to it's size, but the results I get make it my "best" choice.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:40 AM   #7

If you want the very best external flash, I would have to recommend the Metz 76 Digital. The list price is $1200 in the US (£499 in the UK), and it also requires the use of an Olympus adapter module (3045 if I remember correctly). I just got one for my E-500, and it is astounding. Supports power zoom, swivel head, TTL metering, and a guide rating of 176. It wil handle a VERY large indoor setting, or provide plenty of output for bounce in smaller to medium sized rooms. It also comes with a rechargeable battery, charger, and a hotshoe mounted full LCD control panel. It IS the creme-de-la-creme. And while it costs more than any other portable flash, you can get different adapter modules to use it with all makes of cameras - so two or three cameras from now, it will probably still be what you use. One note - you will probably need a diffuser on it, I use the StoFen - the Metz 76 isn't listed on StoFen's compatiblity list, but the Metz 70 is, and works perfectly.

I will give you two caveats - it does NOT support the Olympus fast curtain mode (but does support 2nd curtain modes), and while it does use full TTL metering, I get better results with the Automatic flash-metered mode. I am still working on why that is - I have only had it for a week. But the Auto results are fantastic, so I haven't put a lot of effort into investigating...

Future Shock is offline   Reply With Quote